We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
American Express

American Express has required their merchants to do a bit of clerical work that became effective Jan 1st. Unfortunately they did not effectively communicate this to all their merchants. So some merchants ( not me as I do not accept it anyway) have been caught unaware of a new requirement to withhold 28% of the funds for some reason. Not sure about ANY of the details, but a few folks that I know will not be accepting the cards until this is cleared up. Best to check before you make any purchases. Should be back to normal in a few weeks as I am sure everyone is motivated to clear this up.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Express

Do you mean AMEX is holding back 28% -- for how long??? Is this only in the Cayman Islands? Thanks for the heads up -- my guess is that it affects merchants more than purchasers, however, if it stops merchants from accepting the card it definitely filters down!! If you hear anything else, it would be great to know. I haven't heard anything about it hear in the States, but then again I'm past hoping that the news might actually report something timely and worthwhile ;)

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Express

I saw someone was mentioning they were intending on using AMEX to rent a car in another thread.

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

The regional AMEX merchant services office is in Mexico. I think they dropped the ball here on getting everyone to do the required paperwork on time. I am going to guess there is not a business in Cayman that was accepting AMEX today.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American Express

DITTO in the Turks & Caicos Islands on Hotels, resorts, car rentals, food, etc. Had to use my backup bank (VISA) debit card to book our room for 2 weeks. DR. JIM

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Express

I mentioned this in another thread but I can say for sure Attic and O Bar aren't taking AMEX while I had no issues using it at Karoo, Abacus, Prime. Best to check before you purchase

Lincoln, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: American Express

Have been on island for a week and have been extremely frustrated as 99% of all restaurants on Grand Cayman are NOT accepting the card. So much for being a premium card holder.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 13:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Express

Depending on how 'premium' that AMEX is they will be more or less willing to help you out. One of my Centurion friends had a prepaid debit card (not AMEX) Fedex'd to him as way of apology with contingency for more if needed

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Express

Any problems using AMEX at grocery, liquor, other retail stores, condos, hotels?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Express

"One of my Centurion friends.."

I had no idea this was still a viable career option.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Express

Updates on the AMEX situation will be most appreciated:-)

Kansas
Level Contributor
603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Express

I checked with Marshall's car rental yesterday and they said they are accepting AMEX at this time.