We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

NC
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

We've stayed in Sunshine Suites several times and are wondering if we should try a new hotel. Any feedback on Comfort Suites vs. Sunshine is appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

I would pick Sunshine Suites hands down over Comfort Suites. It’s just a nicer property. Granted it is not on the beach but in every other is nicer. Why are you limiting yourself to those two places? Have you looked at a one bedroom condo at a place like Cayman Reef Resort or a similar property?

MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

I like CS better than SS. Stayed at both. Hospitality of staff, the hot breakfast and being on the beach side are just a few of my pluses.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

But isn't it nice to have access to the Westin Beach and facilities if you stay at Sunshine Suites?

Edited: 05 November 2018, 11:23
MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

Not necessarily. I don’t have pay a $35. resort fee to swim in the same water or walk the same beach (7mb). Also do not have to cross busy West Bay Rd. to get to the beach or anytime I want something in the room.

NC
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

Thank you. We looked at condos, but to booth those separate from our flights is considerably more expensive. Also, with SS we like having a kitchen included. Just checking to make sure we aren't missing something awesome elsewhere.

MD
Level Contributor
823 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

@bigbeachballs calling West Bay Rd. busy at that location is a stretch. That road has very little traffic and it's as tough to cross as a neighborhood street is.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
1 review
7. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

Have to disagree purbeast. I drive that stretch every day at least twice a day and usually four times. Lots of tourists dodging cars trying to cross from sunshine suites and lots of cars at the busy times. Not sure why so many people refuse to use the crosswalk. That stretch of west bay road is not as busy as it used to be but still lots of cars and they drive much faster than any neighbourhood street I know! The golf cart shuttle from the Westin is a nice bonus though.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

I didn't recall hearing about any more tourists being killed or injured crossing West Bay Rd since the pedestrian crosswalks have been installed, but then I found this:

https:/…

I guess how busy one perceives the road to be is based on where they live. My neighborhood roads are nowhere near as busy as West Bay Rd, but with patience, I still find it able to be crossed.

Here's some videos to help those unfamiliar with the road get a sense of the vehicular volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7phreWK-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocdfFIwGqhU

MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

Purbeast- everyone has their own opinion, but I have been going to GC for over 20 years and have walked and driven West Bay Rd each trip. I have stayed at both hotels. I personally find that stretch of road by SS and the Westin busy to cross over, especially if crossing with little children and find it a dark stretch of road at night. You may not. I personally do not want to have to cross it when I want to run back to the room for a minute either. I used to find crossing at the Marriott busy, but use the crosswalk now. If I remember correctly, the crosswalk is not right at SS so people are more likely to do the look n dash- cross walk is further down.

MD
Level Contributor
823 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites

Well both of you have more experience there than I do, but the past 2 times I've been there I stayed at the Westin and crossed quite often to go to the liquor store and it wasn't anything I'd call busy with cars going 25 or so MPH and there just overall being very minimal traffic right there.

Reply to: Sunshine Suites vs. Comfort Suites
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman