We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Construction

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Airport Construction

Is it finished yet? Sorry if I missed a post. We arrive December 22nd.

Thanks!

27 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Airport Construction

No We departed Wednesday and it was a breeze. Shops not open yet. Supposed to be up and running by Christmas. They still have playoff time :)

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Airport Construction

We departed today. Security was surprisingly quick and efficient. The departure lounge however, did not have enough seating and many passengers ( including seniors )had to stand around and wait for their flights. How do you build a new facility and come up short on customer seating?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Airport Construction

Saturdays are always busy with several departing flights happening in the early afternoon. A larger departure area has to help somewhat, but given airline schedules, which the air terminal is not able to dictate, would imagine crowding on that day and within the timeframe of so many departures, this is an unavoidable situation. During high season it is bound to be even more of an issue for weekend departures.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Airport Construction

There was simply not enough passenger seating in the departure lounge. ( lovecayman ) You make a logical argument but your "facts" are wrong. Yesterday was Friday and it is "low season" right now.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Airport Construction

My bad! TOTALLY concur there is no reason for limited seating even during off season and on a weekday!!!! Thanks for the heads up and letting mg me know of my inaccurate response:-)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Airport Construction

We arrived home tonight...

The waiting area was a madhouse! So many people standing that it made for chaos in the boarding of flights. You didn't know where to stand and what boarding lines belonged to which gates/flights.

The security process was relatively fast 🙂

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Airport Construction

We recently returned from spending 2 weeks in the Caymans and we had 4 opportunities to pass through the new airport during our stay because we also flew over to Cayman Brac and back during our trip.

Our initial arrival on a Saturday afternoon was short and sweet without the long waiting lines for immigration and customs that we had experienced in the past. It was also nice to have a comfortable, air-conditioned waiting area where I could stay with the luggage while my husband went to get the rental car.

Our trip over to Brac a week later was in the early morning on a Saturday and there were loads of Security Staff on hand. We were on a domestic flight and passed through quickly but it was clear that they were gearing up for the afternoon rush.

Our trip back from Brac was again early on a Saturday morning and we collected our bags quickly but it was very inconvenient to have to take our luggage outside, cross the street, drag them all the way over to the ticketing hall, re-cross the street, and hang around for an hour waiting for the United counter to open so we could re-check our bags for the trip home. I really hope that they will have a convenient process in place to check bags all the way through for travelers in-transit when the construction is finally completed.

Our flight home was around 11 am on Saturday and there were loads of security, they asked us some questions both at the ticket counter when we checked in, and again during the screening process. I was pulled aside and patted down for a "random check" but the officer was polite and efficient so I don't have any complaints.

The waiting room in the departure area soon became packed and lots of people were standing. Keep in mind that this was during the low season and prior to the peak rush hours of 12 pm to 3 pm, so I can only imagine that it will be much worse during the high season. I hope that they plan to open up more space for the waiting area when the construction is completed.

Food choices were dismal, so thank goodness for the George Town Yacht Club and their free shuttle! Hopefully that situation will also get better as the construction moves forward. The restroom situation is somewhat improved in the new waiting room as compared to the old airport, but I still had to stand in a line during the busy time.

So overall our trips through the airport were not bad, but there were aspects of them that could have been better, so I hope that more improvements will be coming soon.

I know that it would be easier if we could fly mid-week but that will not work for my husband's job schedule, so we are stuck with traveling on the weekends - like a lot of other people!

Edited: 11 November 2018, 00:13
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Airport Construction

I forgot to mention that the communication system is not good, you couldn't understand the announcements - even during our trip over the Brac when the waiting room wasn't crowded or noisy.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Airport Construction

Oh Kathy, your recent experience indicates there is much to be done on basic issues with the major “improved and enlargened” new air terminal construction scheduled to be finished just weeks from now! Given that another recent traveler was NOT departing on a weekend afternoon and reported a negative departure lounge experience does not bode well going forward unless the powers that be address these significant issues sooner than later.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Airport Construction

I know, in general things were better but I expected more - and Cayman continues to grow as a popular vacation destination, so unless the leaders take action soon there will still be problems that could have been circumvented by the construction project.

Reply to: Airport Construction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman