We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Insurance - Avis

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Insurance - Avis

We will be coming to GC in a week. We will be getting a car from Avis. How much does it cost to add insurance per day?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

Hopefully you have an AMEX credit card. If so you can register for their international rental insurance. Then just use your AMEX card when you rent and the cost is $25 per rental period (up to 42 days!). Some people have VISA or MasterCards that provide basic coverage for rentals outside of the USA, but you will need to call and check to see if it applies for your card. (I have accounts with both of those but my international rentals are NOT covered!)

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

I have a visa. Mine don't really cover international either so I was wanting to buy there basic insurance.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

Cannot remember the cost but it is pretty hefty. Another poster mentioned it was going to cost more for the insurance than the actual rental charge:(

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

Anyone have any suggests about paying car insurance? What would be the cheapest way?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

In the past, our Visa didn't cover international travel, but we checked last time we went to Cayman and they said that they would cover. It is worth calling the credit card company to confirm.

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

Has anyone ever used Travelex Rental Insurance? In the event of a collision I am just wondering what all you have to go through. I have called Avis and for a week they are going to charge almost $300.00 so I am looking at any other options I may have but I would prefer in the unlikely event that something happens, I can just give it to my insurance company and they take care of everything.

Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

I have recently done a fair amount of research regarding rental car insurance for GC. There is a wide range of opinions as to what coverage is needed and what is provided by Visa and other card companies. The short version is that if your visa covers international rentals, they only cover collision and theft and damage to the vehicle. They also have multiple stipulations (fine print). Liability is not included. My visa co. said that I would need Personal Accident Insurance. I believe this is also called "third party" coverage at the rental companies. Without that coverage you are on the hook for personal injuries and property damage expenses which are deemed your fault. The collision coverage from visa is, you pay any costs, and try to recover the $$$ from visa. Your personal car insurance company is also a potential source of coverage. I did not inquire about this. Don't want to have a claim with them if possible. I believe you are still liable for damage before you can leave the island. The sources I have asked say that American Express is the only credit card that has benefits worth using for car rental insurance. I just applied for their green card. The first year has no annual fee. I'll be using it in two weeks at Dollar, so we'll see how they treat me. Even if I keep the card for over a year and pay annual fees It's still much cheaper than paying all the fees for rental insurance.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

One other thing to consider: In my case, my American Express coverage acts only as secondary coverage, even internationally. My VISA acts as primary insurance internationally, but secondary on domestic rentals.

Other things to be aware of: As previously posted, you still need third party liability insurance unless your own car insurance covers you. (In my case, GEICO does not extend to the Caymans.) Still, the third party insurance is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to pick up the full insurance from the car rental agency.

One last thing: Make sure you reserve the car using the credit card you plan to pay with and make sure your insurance covers other listed drivers (and make sure anyone who's going to be driving is listed on the rental agreement).

Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

I'm still working through this issue. If I a Visa that covers rental for Collision,Damage,etc., and an Amex that does the same. The Amex is secondary coverage.They both require their card to be used to reserve and pay for the rental. It seems one or the other would decline payment if their card was not used. Also what is the $24.95 fee that "lovecayman" refers to? I looked at Amex traveler benefits and it states that using the card for the rental entitles one to the coverage. I'm not totally confused yet but getting there. I think it's time to check with my agent to see if liability for international car rental is included with my policy. Anyone that can clear the waters, please do so. Thanks.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Insurance - Avis

AMEX insurance for rental car is called the "Premium Car Rental Protection." You enroll using your AMEX account # and once it becomes effective, by using your AMEX card for the rental $24.95 is automatically billed each time you use it to rent a car. Below are the basics:

Benefits:

- up to $100,000 of primary Collision & Theft coverage for rental vehicle

- up to $100,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage

- up to $5,000 per passenger for Excess Personal Property coverage (maximum $10,000 for all)

- up to $15,000 per passenger for Excess Medical Expense coverage

You still have to get the third party insurance, but that's only about $7/day and is easily done when you pick up the rental car.

Exclusions: trucks (other than pick-ups), limos, off road vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, RVs, mopeds, campers, trailers. also vehicles rented in Austrailia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica, & New Zealand.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach