We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
alcohol

We are going to GC next weekened and would like to bring some alcohol with us. I've seen recommendations to purchase alcohol in Miami as each person is allowed one liter duty free to bring to the island. I thought the airline will now allow any liquids >4 oz on the plane? Will they hold it for you or check it? We are leaving from MSP and will have already checked our bags by the time we get to Miami. Should we buy it at the MSP airport? I believe you have to check your bag before you get to the area where alcohol is sold......uncertain as to how I would do this. Thanks in advance for the tips :)

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: alcohol

The duty free liquor stores at MIA are located near the gates, after you pass TSA security. No problem carrying it on.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alcohol

As mentioned above, the Duty Free stores are located "inside" security, near the gates.

When you purchase your Duty Free, you will be asked for your boarding pass. You will pay for your purchase and be given the receipt.

Your purchases will be delivered to the gate and you will pick them up as you board the plane.

If you decide to purchase alcohol or perfume in the Grand Cayman Duty Free at the airport when you are leaving to go back home, you will need to put these in your checked baggage when you pick it up to clear US Custom's in Miami. After you clear US Customs, you drop your baggage off (right outside the Custom's area) and then proceed through TSA Security to your gate.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: alcohol

Thank you!

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alcohol

Buy what your allowance permits for duty free.... however, there are some great Rums in Cayman that you may not normally have access to in the States- in particular Havanna Club Rum and Seven Fathems Rum.... HC is Cuban and not available in the US for obvious reasons and 7F is made locally and not widely distributed overseas- both are delicious and highly recommend leaving a few $ of your beverage budget for the ultimate Caribbean drink ingredient.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alcohol

Rum sounds good, definetely will have to try it! 3 days and counting :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alcohol

That Seven Fathoms rum is aged underwater out by the reef. How cool is that?

So you can have rum from the reef, and every Whitetip lager you drink will save a shark.

Thats my drink menu.

Save Reply
7. Re: alcohol

We just finished a bottle of Seven Fathoms. It was so good, I have to go back to GC to get more!

8. Re: alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:40
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations