We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

I've been there several times and have never tried to snorkel. We're staying at the Mariott and would like to know if there's a decect place to snorkel? Snorkeling is down the list from why I'm going to St Kitts, but if there's a decent area, I'd like to try it. If it's just marginal, please tell me.

Thanks, Kent

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

The best snorkeling on St. Kitts is a Shitten Bay but it's accessible only by boat. There are several catamaran operators who run daily trips there. The concierge at the Marriott will gladly make a reservation for you.

To be truthful if you've snorkelled around St. John, the BVI's, Bonaire or Belize you are going to be disappointed with the snorkeling around St. Kitts. Off-beach snorkeling on St. Kitts is "average" at best. The island lacks a comprehensive off shore reef shore and near shore reef system which is the major reason for the lacjk of good snorke;lling sites. There's some snorkeling at Cockelshell Beach, at Timothy Beach and Whitehouse Bay but it's nothing to write home about.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

Thanks again, CaribSurfer. That's been my initial thoughts. I've been to Aruba and St. Maarten and done some decent snorkeling for short periods close to the shore or close to a catamaran. My main reason to go is to make photos and I don't want to spend a 1/2 day on a boat just to snorkel for a short time period. I may just skip it.

Kent

France
Level Contributor
152 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

The snorkelling on St Kitts isn't at good as other Caribbean islands. We snorkelled just along from Shripwreck Bay which was pretty average.

Anyone who advises snorkelling off of the east coast is giving bad advice, as some of the locals stress how dangerous the undercurrents are on that side....and they should know!

The Northwest near Brimstone Fort is meant to be quite good, I think there is a marine area around there which may be promising although we didn't try it. I think it's around the Sandy Point area of the island.

Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

Snorkeling near Timothy Beach Resort on South Frigate Bay and Reggae Beach Bar on Cockleshell is good.

Highlands, NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

We found some nice snorkeling on Friar's Beach -- Carib side. There is a coral reef about 20-30 yards out with lots of fish. Our group also saw octopus and school of squid. But watch out for the spiney black sea urchins. The road is a little rough and there are some beach shack restaurants with rental beach chairs.

6. Re: Snorkeling in St. Kitts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 18:18