We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

Had this new novel recommended to me while I was on island: It's called 'Island In The Clouds' by Susan Toy. Available on Amazon for Kindles at £5.27! Be interested to know what other's think... Some of the characters seem very familiar to me.......!

"The dead body in the pool is putting a serious dent in Geoff’s morning. An ex-pat property manager on the Caribbean island of Bequia, Geoff doesn’t want a spotlight shone on the secret past he left behind in Canada, but now he’s the suspect in a brutal murder. With no help from the inept local police force, he’s drawn into investigating the murder himself, to clear his name. As Geoff finds out more about the circumstances surrounding the killing, and he and his loved ones find themselves in danger, he begins to see a very dark underbelly of the place some people call paradise…

Part travelogue, part mystery, Island in the Clouds takes a long, hard look at the reality of living in a place that seems perfect — from the outside, anyway. "

1. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2012, 08:38
Tiverton, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
19 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

I've not read the novel you mention but Margaret Atwood's Bodily Harm is set in St Vincent and Bequia although in the book it's called St Antoine. It's a gripping read.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
619 posts
65 reviews
40 helpful votes
3. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

Yes, I've read it, and enjoyed picking up on the familiar and the almost-familiar. For a bit of not-too-serious light reading, I'd recommend it. Just don't expect great literature, because it's not intended to be.

England
Level Contributor
749 posts
62 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

Yes I've also read it. It's great picturing all the locations mentioned, makes it an even more enjoyable read.

Lunenburg, Nova...
2 posts
5. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

I read "Island in the Clouds' and loved it. It makes me want to travel to Bequia, which I hope to do. Here is my brief review of the novel...

Island in the Clouds by Susan Toy

Geoffrey shows up for work, on Monday morning, late, dishevelled, and with a hangover to find the body of a naked woman floating, face down, in a swimming pool. First, he has a drink. Then, he calls ‘Doc.’ And only after explaining the situation to his trusted friend, does Geoffrey call the local police. This makes us wonder at his logic. But it takes repeated attempts to get an answer at the police station, and when they finally do arrive, they contaminate the scene, fail to take photographs and implicate our protagonist in the murder. Even his pothead Rastafarian gardeners warn him about the local authorities: ‘Dey no knows. Dey no helps … you no trust nobody.”

Geoffrey soon discovers that the dead woman is Sara Wilson, the ex-wife of the owner of the estate he is looking after. When Mr. Wilson tells Geoffrey that he doesn’t trust the Bequia police to do a competent job and asks him to find the killer, we know that Geoffrey’s ideal life on the Island of Bequia, ‘where nothing ever happens,’ is about to change in a drastic and potentially dangerous way.

Part murder mystery, part travelogue, Susan Toy’s 'Island in the Clouds' introduces us to an eclectic cast of characters and takes us from luxury vacation homes and up-scale hotels to seedy bars and a high-seas chase as her protagonist searches for Sara’s killer. My immediate impression of this novel is that Ms. Toy knows this island well—it’s history, its people, its lore—and she blends its beauty and diversity into a ripping good tale. Island in the Clouds is an excellent representation of its genre and Susan Toy is a wonderful new talent.

Lunenburg, Nova...
2 posts
6. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

I read "Island in the Clouds' and loved it. It makes me want to travel to Bequia, which I hope to do. Here is my brief review of the novel...

Island in the Clouds by Susan Toy

Geoffrey shows up for work, on Monday morning, late, dishevelled, and with a hangover to find the body of a naked woman floating, face down, in a swimming pool. First, he has a drink. Then, he calls ‘Doc.’ And only after explaining the situation to his trusted friend, does Geoffrey call the local police. This makes us wonder at his logic. But it takes repeated attempts to get an answer at the police station, and when they finally do arrive, they contaminate the scene, fail to take photographs and implicate our protagonist in the murder. Even his pothead Rastafarian gardeners warn him about the local authorities: ‘Dey no knows. Dey no helps … you no trust nobody.”

Geoffrey soon discovers that the dead woman is Sara Wilson, the ex-wife of the owner of the estate he is looking after. When Mr. Wilson tells Geoffrey that he doesn’t trust the Bequia police to do a competent job and asks him to find the killer, we know that Geoffrey’s ideal life on the Island of Bequia, ‘where nothing ever happens,’ is about to change in a drastic and potentially dangerous way.

Part murder mystery, part travelogue, Susan Toy’s 'Island in the Clouds' introduces us to an eclectic cast of characters and takes us from luxury vacation homes and up-scale hotels to seedy bars and a high-seas chase as her protagonist searches for Sara’s killer. My immediate impression of this novel is that Ms. Toy knows this island well—it’s history, its people, its lore—and she blends its beauty and diversity into a ripping good tale. Island in the Clouds is an excellent representation of its genre and Susan Toy is a wonderful new talent.

Kelowna, Canada
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

I'd been hearing about Bequia for years, but have still never been. So I very much enjoyed Island in the Clouds, especially for its local inflections, geography, people. The scene where Geoff is trying to obtain a "copper" is my very favourite part of the book. I went back and read it again before reading on. The book is lots of fun.

St Maxime
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
35 helpful votes
8. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

I would read it if I could find it in physical form - I don't have a Kindle - anyone any guidance (and don'y say buy a Kindle).

Ta

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

Hope this helps:

From http://islandeditions.wordpress.com/

The print edition is being prepared now and should be available in Canada and Bequia in May/June. You may pre-order by sending an email to susanmtoy (at) gmail.com. (ISBN – 978-0-9879385-2-7 Retail price CDN$18.95)

Tiverton, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
19 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Anyone read the novel which is based on Bequia?
Save

Sounds very much like the tv series we had a while back on BBCOne called Death in Paradise starring Ben Miller and Sara Martin. Entertaining.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.