We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinidad car rental recommendations

North Carolina
Level Contributor
212 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trinidad car rental recommendations

Hello, everyone. I am requesting recommendations for car rental companies in Trinidad (Piarco airport/Arima area). I have found several recommended companies on Tobago (Sheppy's, Sherman's, KCNN, etc.) but none for Trinidad. I am looking to rent a car for around 9 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
10 replies to this topic
trinidad
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Cars are usually rented from the airport next counter after arrivals, as you exit customs they are located at the next counter on your left.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
212 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Thanks. I am getting a good price through Rentalcargroup.com, which provides a rental through Alamo at the airport. The price is lower than going through Alamo directly. Does anyone have experience with Rentalcargroup.com in Trinidad? Are they reliable?

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Brisbane
Level Contributor
646 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Our flight on Copa arrives at 23:30. Will the car rental companies still be open? Should we book it in advance or just walk up?

We need to get moving early in the morning for birding so I would prefer to have the car ready to go.

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Travbug20: How was your experience renting with Alamo in Trinidad? Please share. Did you take the insurance? I am traveling to Trinidad later this month and looking for a reliable car rental company... after a recent terrible experience with Hertz in South Africa, i've become very skeptical..

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Calgary, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

This likely comes in a bit too late, however for anyone else renting in Trinidad, skip the Alamo/National counter, operated by Massy Motors. We've rented from them in the past and when we were there a month ago(March 2016), they magically produced an overdue invoice for $1300 from our 2012 rental. Shady, especially since we've rented from them at least annually since 2012 and this has never come up. They couldn't explain why it has taken them 4 years to produce this invoice, given that they've had our phone number, email address and mailing address this entire time. And Roxanne, their manager is a special brand of rude when an explanation was required. Unless you want to be ripped off with 'magical' bills that appear, with no real backup, skip Alamo, National Car Rental at Port of Spain, Trinidad.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Patagonia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Hi, I usually rent from Thrifty, who have a stand at the airport turn left as you exit arrivals.

Last week I tried Hertz for the 1St time, also good, but you have to call them for a pick up.

Both will run you about US $50/day

Aberdeen, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

Hello. I have traveled many places in USA as well as outside of USA. What I will say is that while you have many options are in Trinidad, I would advise that Alamo car rental be steered clear of. I rented with them on my initial foray. They were acceptable and when Hertz was on hiatus for a while I recently had to go back. Big mistake. The counter clerk Sharma was extremely rude. When I asked for my copy of the checklist. I was rudely asked if I did not want my receipt. Unclear how the two were related, I asked the question again, only o be asked the same question again in an even more hostile tone. In addition, please note that they claim to rent only to deplaning passengers. (The rule is not listed on Expedia's website).

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Albany, New York
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

I had a very bad experience with Hertz in Pierce, Port of spain Trinidad. I made a reservation online through Hertz.com Z( I am a Presidential level customer) and was there to pick a car but instead offered a much smaller car. This has been an awful experience and I will advise anyone to be wary of booking and renting a car from Hertz in Trinidad.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

thanks for the message, we need to help each other

New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trinidad car rental recommendations

I rented with Alamo in 2016 and it was amazing. They gave me a new care and the staff was very helpful. Forward to 2017 I used budget because Alamo was unable the dates I was travelling. (For carnival) what a horrible experience. I could not believed this big name company Budget would give me this old broken down car and not think of my safety. I am travelling again this year to Trinidad for Carnival and I hope Alamo will be positive as it has been in the past for me..

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Reply to: Trinidad car rental recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trinidad