We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Fruit

Hamilton,Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Fruit

What kinds of fresh fruit is available in Provo? Do they have any farms other then the conch farm?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Fruit

I thought the IGA was a fabulous supermarket. The ONLY disappointment I had was with the fresh fruits and veggies. Not up to par, with what we have up here, but definately do-able. I just skipped fresh fruit all together that week - and went with alot of veggies.

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Fruit

Most of our fruits and vegetables are imported from the States.....

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Fruit

There was a local grown farmers market set up near the Island Pride supermarket, Not too sure they still have it. It was my understanding that they locally grow on North, and Middle Caicos Tomatoes,Sugar Cane, Papaya, Yams, Pumkin, and Cabbages.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Fruit

There are no farms on Provo, and no fruit or vegetables are grown on the island. Produce is shipped from Miami so it is very expensive and not very fresh.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Fruit

There is a farm on Provo, just not the type farm you expect to see. There is a hydroponics farm out near South Dock Road. We buy fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, salad greens etc from him.

Just about everything in the IGA is imported from the states. If you know where to go (and the right people), you can get amazing cantaloupes grown in North, soursaps, pampoons, coconuts, avocados, cannips, sapodillas, passonfruit, dates and other neat local fare.

Hamilton,Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Fruit

Ok lobomago, where do we go?

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Fruit

Vegetables from the hydroponics farm are available at the IGA-hit or miss, but they are identified as such. You can also find the farm itself in South Dock.

Caicos Mart and various other of the gas stations carry the homemade breads and other produce that comes from North. Again hit or miss. You will see people on the roadsides selling fruits and vegetables.

Grab it when you see it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh Fruit

Lobo, you just made me giggle with: soursaps, pampoons, cannips; they all sound like something out of Willy Wonka!

Any schnazzzzberries???

OOmpa OOmpa

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh Fruit

lobomago

I think cannips are the small green fruit with a peachy colored inside over a pit that you suck on and then spit the pit out, is that right? I had friends from Grenada and they called it-forgive the spelling-I'll try it phonetically- "skin up". A few little boys had bags with bunches of them for a dollar at Da Conch Shack and I grabbed it right away for my family to try. We have had it on every other island we've visited but never before on Provo. Also, we were driving along Leeward Highway westbound and saw some women sitting on the eastbound side selling mangoes; my husband turned around at the next roundabout and we grabbed several for a dollar each. Delicious...sadly, Provo is not a lush island where you can walk along and pick fruit from the trees but there are some chances to get some tasty fruit. Also, the groundskeepers at The Sands have cut open several coconuts for us on each visit when we see them getting the ripe ones down; also a nice treat.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh Fruit

My mom picked up several papayas from the IGA this week and says they are really sweet and delicious. She went back for more. Don't know where they came from. I think she will be disappointed when I tell her they probably came from Miami and not Provo!