We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the lobster?

Wolcott, Connecticut
Level Contributor
739 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the lobster?

My daughter and son in-law watched house hunters international and said it showed someone going on a boat and catching lobster. Can you book this activity? I guess you would call it lobster hunting? or where can you find the lobster?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the lobster?

No one really does a lobster tour..........you can rent a boat and do it but you will also have to have a fishing licence. Just so that you know it is not very easy to catch the little creatures.

What you probably saw was a commercial lobster fisherman or they did it for the cameras.

Edited: 13 December 2010, 17:07
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the lobster?

Take a nice road trip to Bar Harbor, Maine and do the Lulu lobster boat trip.

ok not exactly what you are looking for but thought I'd mention it ;)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the lobster?

We went out on a day tour with Caicos Adventures on our last visit where they took us to a few reef locations and anyone who wanted to could dive for lobster (a fishing license was included in the cost of the trip, or so they said). I dove but didn't catch any (nor was I all that keen to, to be honest) but I did watch the boat captain and another guest catch them, and Jodi is right, they are not easy to get. Nor all that plentiful, it seemed.

Afterwards, the captain cleaned and prepared them for eating and then we had a little bbq on the beach on West Caicos.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the lobster?

They are very difficult to catch, Jodi is right! We did catch a couple in front of Bruce Willis' house when we did an excursion. I personally did not. I was with the mate who did, and watched as he had some difficulties.The lobster will back themselves into the tightest crevises in the rock/coral, sometimes leaving just the tips of the antenna visible. Since that experience, we've seen quite a few at the bight reef. We saw them best on a night dive, we got some great pictures. I think they are nocturnal. Jodie? BTW, no fishing in Princess Alexandra Park (all fo Grace Bay)You also need a stick with a hook on the end to get them out. If your lucky enough to get that far, you would probably be best off with some gloves as the spines will get you! (spiney lobster). It's best to leave it to the guys that know how to do it. The end result is what we all like.....can't wait!

Edited: 14 December 2010, 05:19
Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the lobster?

Only Belongers are legally allowed to use the hook to catch lobster. Non-Belongers (even with a fishign license) need to use a tickle-stick and a bag.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the lobster?

tickle stick? You have to make them laugh before you eat them?

;-)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the lobster?

lol, blamona. Nothing like eating lobster that has a smile on its face!! : )

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the lobster?

Hmm, I think I'll stick to diving for conch -- they're not very good at hiding, and are just as slow as I am. ;-)

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the lobster?

I think I will eat mine on a plate, after I order it from the waiter. ;o)

10. Re: Where are the lobster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 01:17