We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing food into Provo

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbridge, VA
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bringing food into Provo

Since I hear loud and clear on this travel forum that the food in Provo is very expensive, are we allowed to pack a suitcase full of non-perishable items? I do this all the time when we go to Aruba(in fact we even freeze our meat as we do not trust the supermarket meat there) but I was not sure if anyone out there has done this. I don't want to pack a suitcase full of stuff only to have customs take it away from me. Help!

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing food into Provo

Yes, you can. I have packed suitcases of non-perishables and have brought in a cooler of frozen meat. However, I only did it because Delta allows two free checked bags to TCI. This year, I am flying USAir, which charges for every checked bag. Any potential savings will be lost to checked bag fee, so I will not do it this year. If the airlines luggage policy allows you free checked bags, I'd do it. Although it is more expensive, it is not outrageously expensive. For example, last year I packed frozen spare ribs, paid $2 a pound at Costco for them. Got to Provo, went to the IGA, and had the ribs on sale for $2 a pound (but, cooler came in handy for the beer). Also, I trust the meat in TCI, no worries for me.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing food into Provo

Tatzidog,

Here is a good story for you. I go down to Provo twice during the summer. i am a scuba diver so on the first trip i brought my equipment minus tanks and weights of course. But i leave the equipment with friends on the island

Now I return in August so the bag on the second trip is almost empty. so what do i do? I ask my friends what they like to eat, meat wise? Here is the good part I brought down a10 lb pork roast, 4 racks of baby back ribs and a leg of lamb. I went to my local butcher and let them put the meat in their freezer it was a solid rock when I left N.J. and it had not thawed out by time I reached Provo. And I did not pay for the bag at the airport because at the time AA did not charge for luggage on International flights.

we had some BBQ's in August!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing food into Provo

Before liquid restrictions, our family of four would pack everything in carry-ons -- it was great. This included one carry-on with snorkel masks, fins, snorkels, seven bottles of sun screen, and an unusual assortment of non-parishable food and kitchen items that I scarfed from our home pantry.

The same holds true today, but now we're forced to check our "snorkel / food bag."

We probably save $100 by packing little things like condiments, zip lock bags, snack foods, etc. Everything else, we buy there.

It's no big deal since we have to check our bag anyway with the sunscreen lotion, bug spray, etc. that we prefer. Delta didn't charge a checked bag fee last year.

Edited: 11 February 2011, 21:23
NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing food into Provo

We brought snacks, etc in December. It was convenient to have something for the 1st day. But next time we're not going do it. Only some very special stuff we can't live without.. Food is not much more expansive. Actually we could SAVE money by buying in Provo because a lot of food we brought got wasted and was left behind.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing food into Provo

We brought food last year and were really glad - Frozen Filet Mignon which gave us 4 meals during our 2 weeks on the island; cheese; coffee; some crackers. We were really glad to have it as it saved us a lot of $ and we got tired of eating out every night. Next time I'd include a couple of chicken breasts too. Because this was one of my carryons it didn't cost extra $

US
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing food into Provo

Is there ever any issue with customs? Do you declare food you bring in, or not even mention it?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing food into Provo

There is a space on the customs form to declare if you are bringing in meat and vegetables .

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing food into Provo

Do not declare anything...they are looking for taxable items not your food!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing food into Provo

We brought Costco packages of sliced cheese, Brie, smoked salmon (very expensive in Provo), proscuito, frozen Eizekel bread ($9 in TCI), coffee and teas. These covered all our breakfasts in addition to eggs we bought at IGA.

I'm glad we brought all that as the prices for the same items are way more expensive in Provo than they're at home.

Chicken and turkey breast was $4.99/lb which equals to regular price for the same in Canada. Beef was also close in price. The only outrageous prices I found was for fresh fish (one portion of salmon fillet, for ex., was $9).

Oh, and trail mix or just nuts were very good snacks while waiting for a meal to be ready.

So, if you have space in your luggage, bring whatever you like to have. You'll most likely save yourselves some $ by doing so.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing food into Provo

We came from Seattle, WA. and brought frozen rib eyes, pork chops, chicken, salami, cheese and other various snacks along with spices that we love to cook with. We had no issues with the meat...frozen solid when we arrived and at customs we did check that we had meat when they asked us what we had we said steaks and were allowed through with out an issue.

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales