We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Dangers

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
Save Topic
Driving Dangers

Please, please. please--if you are going to rent a car and drive while on vacation here in the Turks & Caicos take a few minutes to learn the proper use of a roundabout and the rules of the road.

Roundabouts are not four way stops--you do not stop and wait until every single car in sight has passed by before you enter the roundabout.

Do NOT enter a roundabout and then freeze in the middle of it.

And most certainly do NOT blow through a roundabout at 50mph without slowing down or giving way to the people already in the roundabout. That white SUV "you" almost creamed yesterday was me and my family. The near death experience was not appreciated and neither was the rude reaction from the driver. So please take a few minutes to learn the road rules and I promise to reserve my comments about @#$%^&&* tourist drivers solely for drivers like the one I encountered yesterday.

1. Slow down. Obey traffic signs. (The ones that say give way)

2. Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists.

3. Yield to traffic on your right already in the roundabout.

4. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in traffic.

5. Keep your speed low within the roundabout.

6. As you approach your exit, turn on your turn signal.

7. Yield to pedestrians and bicycles as you exit.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 09:28
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Dangers

Sorry this happened to you and your family lobomago. Some people just don't give a s#!t about others. Thanks for sharing the use of roundabouts as I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have truly never encountered one and don't know how to handle them.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Dangers

I agree totally with you Lobomago, I've also had some very close calls by people not knowing how to drive around the round abouts. By tourist, and to be fair locals mostly speeding through them.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Dangers

Thank you for your post on traffic dangers, Lobomago. That is one of my concerns about driving on Provo since this will be my first visit. I'm sorry about your experience. I will certainly brush up on the rules about roundabouts before I leave for Provo. Thanks for the tips.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Dangers

This is a good topic and important information to share to keep everyone safe especially since visitors to the island seem to be increasing.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Dangers

I agree when in Rome do as the Romans but as was stated it is not just the tourists that do it. Some of our cab drivers were crazy fast. I just closed my eyes and hung on. If it weren't for the tourists T & C would not be as profitable it is today. Sorry you had such a close call and it is closer to the heart when your family is involved. Makes us a little more ready to pull the trigger. It really is hard getting used to the roundabouts at first.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Dangers

I am so sorry you had this experience! We were glad we have roundabouts here at home so we knew what to do--hubby just had to adjust to doing it backwards. I am sure locals were having fits with his SLOW driving! But, I must say, locals on T&C did seem to be patient with his driving. On some other islands, they were not!

We had new "friends" who left the SANDS about the same time we did and they said their taxi ride to the airport was the scariest drive they'd ever experienced. He rode on the backs of cars, he nearly ran off the road twice AND was going too fast. Glad most taxis aren't this way!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Dangers

Sorry this happened to you and your family, Lobomago and glad no one was hurt. Great topic for discussion here. I purposely didn't drive on Provo until I felt ready to do so, wanting to make sure I understood all of the rules of the road. I finally did on this last trip (which was our 8th - yes I'm a slow learner!) and loved it, making sure I stayed in the slower lane where I felt comfortable. We have roundabouts here in New England which are called rotaries so thankfully I was familiar with the concept of entering cautiously but not stopping unless you have a vehicle right in front of you.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Dangers

Not all bad drivers on the road are tourists--this particular offender was as he was in a rental van. Jitneys are always a concern and top the list of bad drivers.

Just want everyone to be careful--a smash up is a quick way to ruin a great vacation.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Dangers

Thanks lobomago for that very necessary post !! I am relieved that you and your family are safe. We have roundabouts here where I live so I am used to them as well... but I'm with MuyLinda... it took me many visits before I actually got behind the wheel....and then I wondered what took me so long lol But some of the bad drivers and driver errors I saw did make me shake my head more than once.

Hope everyone takes notice of your informative post !!

Waynesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Dangers

I think the worst, by far, are the taxi's. They seem to feel that they have the right of way for everything. I know that time means money to them, but c'mon, slow down.... Next are the jitneys. They pop on and off the road wherever they feel like it.

I find that the tourists mostly tend to drive slow. But you are right, they also tend to stop at all roundabouts.