Please, please. please--if you are going to rent a car and drive while on vacation here in the Turks & Caicos take a few minutes to learn the proper use of a roundabout and the rules of the road.
Roundabouts are not four way stops--you do not stop and wait until every single car in sight has passed by before you enter the roundabout.
Do NOT enter a roundabout and then freeze in the middle of it.
And most certainly do NOT blow through a roundabout at 50mph without slowing down or giving way to the people already in the roundabout. That white SUV "you" almost creamed yesterday was me and my family. The near death experience was not appreciated and neither was the rude reaction from the driver. So please take a few minutes to learn the road rules and I promise to reserve my comments about @#$%^&&* tourist drivers solely for drivers like the one I encountered yesterday.
1. Slow down. Obey traffic signs. (The ones that say give way)
2. Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists.
3. Yield to traffic on your right already in the roundabout.
4. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in traffic.
5. Keep your speed low within the roundabout.
6. As you approach your exit, turn on your turn signal.
7. Yield to pedestrians and bicycles as you exit.Edited: 18 July 2011, 09:28