We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands or Somerset

Boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The Sands or Somerset

Hi,

We are planning a trip in June with 3 or 4 older kids (ages 11 - 18). I have narrowed my search down to either The Sands or the Somerset. Want a resort with beautiful beach and pool. The Somerset seems to have a lot of fun stuff going on like the beach bbq and a pool bar which I like but the Somerset is going to going to cost about $1400. more for the six nights we will be there and that is for a 2 bedroom ocean view compared to a 3 bedroom ocean view at the Sands. Is it worth the extra money? Any recommendations?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sands or Somerset

Personally, we typically would lean toward the newer, more upscale properties. However, in your case, with 3 or 4 older kids, and considering the price difference, I'd recommend going with the Sands, 3 bedroom. $1400 can also afford you more nice dinners out, a couple more excursions with the kids, etc.

Also, have you looked into the potential additional "extra person" charges at the Somerset? I've seen at some resorts if the number of guests exceed the "maximum" number for certain room categories, the resort may charge an additional fee per person, per night. Perhaps that may not be the case or you've already factored that in for your rate at the Somerset. But, just something to consider, if not.

It also sounds like you are leaning toward an oceanview room at either resort. If you do prefer the Somerset, perhaps consider a "Garden Villa", 2 bedroom (if the "extra person" charges wouldn't apply) or 3 bedroom.

Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Both resorts I believe would offer great things for a family. Just my thoughts.... :)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sands or Somerset

BTW, the Sands & Somerset are located within a short walking distance from each other. IMO, they both have nice pools & share the same beautiful stretch of beach.

So, even if you decided on the Sands, you all could walk to the Somerset & enjoy drinks & lunch at their pool bar, Luna Sea. It's also my understanding that Beach BBQs offered by various resorts are open to the public, not just its resort guests (just make reservations).

The Sands also has Hemingways onsite....another great choice for lunch & drinks beachside. :)

Hope this helps.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 14:12
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sands or Somerset

We have stayed at both resorts ,Sands twice, Somerset many more than that . Both are nice but, The Somerset is a big step up, much nicer, newer, beautiful suites, great staff, excellent dining etc. Somerset for sure and yes it is worth $1400 more!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sands or Somerset

Not in the same league, Somerset is far superior!

both are nice, but Somerset is much nicer!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sands or Somerset

It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda Accord.

Both will get you where you are headed......but the "entire" package is different.

I am the first to recommend The Sands in the moderate price category.

It is very nice and will provide a good vacation.

Somerset......much more upscale and the suites are far superior.

It just is in another category.

Beautiful architecture and grounds - my favorite in the upscale category.

It just has a special vibe to it.

Just my experience as I have stayed at both properties.

Mike

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sands or Somerset

"It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda Accord."

Never read it stated better. Thanks, Mike.

Both are great, reliable cars... one is more luxurious, and therefore, it costs more. Simple as that. :-)

7. Re: The Sands or Somerset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 05:21