We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birds on providenciales

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
birds on providenciales

My question is -- WHERE ARE ALL THE BIRDS?? We are staying in a villa on Long Beach Bay, we have seen ONE bird in 7 days. There is lush vegetation everywhere, many butterflies and lizards, but no birds, no birdsong in the morning, no seabirds at the beach.

We took a sail and saw one blue heron and one egret, other than that -- nothing!

Our host says it is due to the hurricane, but that was a while ago, and from what I understand, birds come back fairly quickly after a hurricane. I know there are also, in general. fewer birds on islands, but we've been to many other Caribbean islands where we saw lots of birds.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: birds on providenciales

I think most people go over to North/ middle to go birding. Those islands are more lush than Provo.

We saw lots of hummingbirds when we were there!

Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birds on providenciales

As far as I have observed there has been no change in the bird population in Provo. We've vacationed on the Grace Bay side for more than ten years in a row and it always been the same...

Group of sand pipers every 50 yards or so on the shoreline

Most resorts have an egret or two wandering around their property

A pelican or two fly by close to shore a couple of times a day--fun to watch as they dive down for their dinner

A few mourning/morning? doves mumbling around in the gardens most days

An osprey nest here and there in the tree tops (if you look up once in a while).

So enjoy the butterflies and geckos on Long Beach Bay and perhaps take a trip over to Grace Bay for a change of scenery.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birds on providenciales

Call the golf course, flamingos love to hang out there.

Flamingos love it around the shallows before Middle Caicos

Osprey love Harbour Beach/Pirates cave area, actually called Opsrey Rock (but do not go by car, go on boat with Captian Bill, from the road has been dangerous)

There was a woodpecker in my yard last week

There's a funny looking bird (sorry I don't know what kind) loves to hang out at Tiki Hut

Egrets are always on the dunes, at the golf course, side of the road, and on top of the hedge at the sands (check out my trip report with pictures)

These were sightings first week of Jan, without really looking for them

New York City
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birds on providenciales

Thanks so much, everyone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birds on providenciales

"There's a funny looking bird (sorry I don't know what kind) loves to hang out at Tiki Hut"

------------------------------------------------

I'd like to know what kind of bird that is. He/she is always walking around the tables closest to the water. I tried to take its picture on time, but it became shy.

West Coast
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: birds on providenciales

I believe it is a type of Night Heron.

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: birds on providenciales

That funny bird surprised at the Tiki Hut. When we first saw him we thought he was a statue standing by our table. He is a Yellow Crowned Night Heron.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: birds on providenciales

http://www.google.com/search?q=yellow+crowned+night+heron&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=S0cST_SgAsL50gH5wOWtAw&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=690

Providenciales
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: birds on providenciales

In case it's of interest, here is a link to a trip report by our birding friend who visited in March 2011, covering Provo, North and Middle Caicos -

http://tinyurl.com/7msd6ss

Westport
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: birds on providenciales

We are on Grace Bay and hummingbirds are plentiful. I am missing gulls.

Enjoy!