We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

Level Contributor
1 post
166 reviews
Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

Reefs change and are living things. That said I was hoping that someone could guide me to good snorkeling on St. Croix. I do not want to go to Buck Island. We are experienced snorkelers and don't mind a little chop or open water exposure. Thanks!

45 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

Click on the St Croix forum (not Fredriksted) and there is a link to snorkeling spots on STX. It is the top right of hte page.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
937 posts
163 reviews
2. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

Davis Bay. Enter the sea at Carambola and swim east towards Cane Bay. You will be swimming into a westerly current and can drift back. There is very little boat activity damaging the area. All the scuba are shore dives. The Davis Wall is about 100 meters out. When the viz is good it's unreal. All kinds of marine life. On the return if you drift past Carambola the return swim can be difficult. I would not recommend this for occasional snorkelers. You need to be a strong ocean swimmer. Long fins and paddle gloves are helpful as the seas can change quickly on the north shore. There are Reef sharks but I have found them to be fairly docile.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

I second Davis Bay (see picture to left<, no boats anymore) and also Cane Bay.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
627 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

we like Tamarind Reef at green Cay Marina if the northern swells are not bad....they have a great beach shack that will help you with info about the best way to get in (far Eastern end of beach, be careful of small urchins). Best soft coral display for a snorkeler, turtles seen frequently.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

i enjoy the Frederiksted Pier and beach just to the side of it. lots of colorful corals. look close, lots of small wonders.... and sea horses!!!

also like Sand Castles. if you enter the beach thru the pool area and walk to right along the beach. you will see a small stone ruin that was a house? head into the water there and swim out to where the water is about 25ft deep and look down. The largest Vessel Sponges i've ever seen. a virtual GARDEN

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

We snorkeled off Cane Bay. There is a shop there to rent the gear & it was at such a good price. This was our first time snorkeling & it was amazing. The reef drops off there, & there are so many things to see. It was a great experience.

Ps. Stop at Spratnet Bar for a drink or food at Cane Bay. The owner was amazing.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

My favorites are:

1) Cane Bay - head out and to the right to the bouys and coral gardens. Then keep going east. Last time we saw turtles, rays, and great fish. Eat at Cane Bay after.

2) F'sted Pier - always awesome. Great colored coral and fish. Usually turtles. Swim around the left side if the pier then out to the old pier columns. Eat at Polly's after.

3) Shoys - head out to where the waves break on the right and beyond them. Eat at Cheeseburgers after.

4) Rainbow Beach - head out to the right to the bouys. Man made reefs but great fish and calm water. Eat at Rythms after.

5) Buck Island is of course the #1 place and a MUST. Take the Big Beard or Jolly Roger half day in the morning. Eat at Angry Nates after.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
233 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

WOW!! Thanks..I am taking a cruise and am getting off at the Pier...I did not like any of my excursion choices...I love your ideas...THANKS again.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

I don't think you can snorkel the pier when a ship is in. Just an FYI and maybe someone else can confirm.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
946 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?

You are correct Saffie. No diving or snorkeling while a ship is docked. Safety and security reasons.

Reply to: Best snorkeling beach on St. Croix (not Buck Island)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Frederiksted