We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

Montgomery, Alabama
10 posts
Save Topic
Crime

I was wondering about the crime mainly in St. Thomas. I was playing around on Google and saw that so far as of Feb. 6th there have been 7 homicides among the three islands.

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime

Unless you're at downtown Charlotte Amalie at 3:00 in the morning or in a gang I don't think you would have much to worry about.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime

On the other hand, you should be concerned about the things that you would like to continue to own.

Do not leave anything on a beach unattended. Use all the locks available. You MAY want to use a "hotel safe" if one is available. If you can manage, don't bring jewelry.

Just use all the sensible precautions that you should use anyplace and a problem is extremely unlikely.

Steve

Montgomery, Alabama
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime

Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime

Come to Philadelphia where there's at least 1 murder every day and some so brutal and meaningless.

I'm not going to hang at the club in Charlotte and after a full day in the sun, we're pretty much done.

We've never had a problem and this will be our 10-11 trip?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime

The homicides were not crimes against tourists - most of the crime is internecine retaliation.

Montgomery, Alabama
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime

Thanks again everyone. Where I live isn’t so great when it comes to crime its self. I’m sure we will be ok and I’m just over thinking it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime

local sailor - had to look up internecine, good word!

Ive never felt unsafe in St Thomas though I would avoid certian areas for sure. I drove past the race track on the south side a few years back on my way to Bolongo and it didnt look particularly attractive to tourists.

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime

Wow! The other forum from Frommers has St Johns and St. Thomas as a scary place. We are booked for this summer with 3 young adults and I am wondering what the reality is. Any other insight into the crime on people and break ins would be appreicated.

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime

I have read on the Frommer's site that both St. Thomas and St. John are very unsafe of late. We are planning a trip down there and want to be able to go out at night- will be smart, but how bad is it? this forum is way different in terms of how crime is than the Frommer's one. Would appreciate some updated info on this topic. thanks much!

Edited: 29 March 2012, 02:38
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime

ljzchicago: what more information do you want than what's been covered right here very simply and succinctly? There is no "updated info" from a month ago to change anything. You have nothing to worry about and like every other visitor can safely travel around and enjoy everything we have to offer. Those of us who have read the Frommer's ramblings are of the opinion that a certain poster there has a very peculiar personal agenda and maybe takes in something rather stronger than rum and coke!