We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire to coki beach

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sapphire to coki beach

How far is it from sapphire to coki beach? Can we take the safari bus one way for $1?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

It is close but the dollar bus will not work as it goes in the opposite direction it is about a 10 minute drive. A taxi would probably cost $5. To $ 7 each way per person

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

Bill's right, the dollar bus only goes one way. I would just recommend renting a car because there's alot of beaches to go to and you'll be heading to Red Hook and other places alot.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

If you're on a one day cruise ship visit, the safari COULD work if you taxied to Coki and then went on to Sapphire. However, the safaris travel the main road and the walk between Coki and that main road will take you about ten minutes. Then when you get to the stop by Sapphire it's a bit of a (fortunately downhill) walk to get down to the beach. A taxi between the two should cost you no more than $5 per person.

If you're coming for an extended stay then you should absolutely rent a car!

Edited: 17 February 2012, 19:44
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

Actually the most direct way is the "water route". You could hire a Sunfish (or similar) or just snorkel between the two beaches.

Steve

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

SteveatSapphire

With all do respect, you really should not encourage tourists to snorkel from Sapphire to Coki. I know you have done it and I know you have been on Sapphire Beach for years, but it is not something the average person should attempt.

You know how shallow the reef on the right of the beach is and how easy a swim or snorkel it normally is for even a below average swimmer. However that is where I spend the majority of my wonderful Sapphire days, and the dive shop guys often have to go out and rescue a struggling or fatigued snorkeler.

I am a reef policeman when at Sapphire and if I see someone standing or walking on the coral reef I let them know that is not acceptable . Often the excuse is that they became disoriented. Imagine where they might wind up snorkeling to Coki.

So visitors if you want to go to both Sapphire and Coki please drive or take a taxi. I want you to have a great time and come back again and again.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

Bill, the first rule Cmdr Williams taught his SCUBA class is "Don't Panic", but that's what these people did. . Even if out of sight of land (not a good idea for most of us) it should not be difficult to find your way home by observing the Sun, or the current, or the wind. I am a weak swimmer (my longest swim was a mile, and it took me a long time) but it's amazing how much a mask, snorkel and a good pair of fins can extend your range.

I wonder if the folks who became "disoriented" actually had their mask and/or snorkel flood and did not know how to clear it. Some of the newer snorkels are rather sophisticated, and they may be a bit complicated to clear. I don't know, because I use an extremely simple forty plus year old snorkel which is extremely easy to clear.

BTW, Although I have never joined, I understand that there is annual group swim between StT and StJ

What about a Sunfish, or a windsurfing board?

My dad, who was not a trained sailor had a Sunfish and circumnavigated StT

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

Steve, I'm a really good swimmer. I was even a lifeguard in my younger years, but I would never suggest anyone snorkel from Sapphire to Coki. It's just crazy. Smith Bay is between!

You should also always snorkel with a buddy, just like scuba. You can get into really big trouble if you take on too much.

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

We have been to coki as a day stop when on a cruise and absolutely loved it. Since we are considereing a stay at sapphire for a land vacation we would like to know it's proximity to coki because we definitely plan on going there again. I guess my next question would be how far is sapphire from red hook? We plan on catching the ferry there to head over to st. John's an BVI as well as checking out some of the restaurants.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

Coki is a five minute drive from Sapphire heading West and Red Hook is a five minute drive from Sapphire heading East. Don't forget to include Smith Bay Park (formerly Lindqvist Beach) which is another gorgeous beach off the same road.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapphire to coki beach

If you're staying at Sapphire, you're right in the middle. For Coki, you take a right out of the driveway onto the main road. For Red Hook and the ferry to STJ, you take a left.

Smith Bay is beautiful and if it's a nice windy day, you can sit there and watch the kite boarders, they're unbelievable.

Don't forget to take a drive up to the North End of STT. The vegetation, elevation and beauty is amazing. Just head up to Mountaintop. Very nice ride.

When are you going to Sapphire? We'll be there from 5-28 to 6-4.