We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fit For Us

Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best Fit For Us

My wife and I are early seniors looking to spend 6 days on the Bahamas in January. Never been there, so we are trying to find a nice resort/hotel that is on calm waters, sandy beach and in a safe area. We love snorkeling, sightseeing and beach time. Need help on which island and hotel would be right for us.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
2 replies to this topic
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
637 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Fit For Us

Look at Cape Santa Maria on Long Island. Stella Maris is just across the island, and a spectacular setting, but the water is rougher. Quiet and safe. Both gorgeous in different ways. I'm not sure what qualifies as "sightseeing" on any of the Out Islands, but on LI there are a few things to see/"do". It does require a domestic flight from Nassau, which could be deal breaker depending on where you are coming from.

Great Exuma is also a good option. Look at Sandals, Exuma Beach Resort, Emerald Isle, and Hideways, depending your style and budget. Direct flights from the US to Exuma.

Be aware that January anywhere in the Bahamas can be either very pleasant, or it can be windy and chilly. I was on LI this past January with a 9-10 day period of gray, chilly, windy days. (Fortunately, our stay was long so we got through it without major disappointment.) The water is chilly in the winter for me (as an early senior) and the pools I encountered were not heated. If you are escaping harsh winter from up north and luck is with you, then 70s temps might be perfectly good. But if you have an option to come later in the spring, even late Feb has better odds, I'd recommend that. Note that the Abacos, Eleuthera, and Nassau are all further north than GE and LI. Have fun planning.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Cape Santa Maria Beach...
729 Reviews
Long Island
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
112 Reviews
Great Exuma
Emerald Isle
Emerald Isle
North Carolina Coast, NC
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Fit For Us

Thanks for the suggestions. I was not aware of the potential cool weather which would be a downer. May push vacation out to March or Target another island in JanFeb.

Reply to: Best Fit For Us
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted