We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouse tour in Nassau

washington state
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Lighthouse tour in Nassau

I am interested in the lighthouses around Nassau. Are they public and/or tours available? There are Goulding Cay, Paradise Island (Hog Island, Nassau Harbour), Government House, Fort Fincastle, and East End Point. Would one of the taxi tours do a custom visit to each?

As well as faux lighthouses at Solomons and Crystal Cay. What is a faux lighthouse?

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

Have never heard of any lighthouse tours. The lighthouse at the entrance of Nassau harbor can not be reached by car. That's the one on the western tip of Paradise Island (formerly known years ago as Hog Island). No lighthouse at Fort Fincastle, and there's not much to see there. You will be disappointed. The faux lighthouse on Crystal Cay, just to the west of the fish fry, is a closed restaurant and underwater observatory. It has been closed for years. When I ride the #10 bus to downtown, I always get a kick as the tourists see the bridge to Crystal Cay, and knowing all that they do...proclaim the bridge there, as the bridge to Atlantis. Lots of experts...but few with expert knowledge. Two of the important historical landmarks include the Queen's Staircase, and Fort Charolette. As well as the capitol building and house of assembly. Two more....Christ Church Cathedral (the country' national church), and just up the street the Governor's General residence (the Bahamas version of the White House or Buckingham Palace), also the place designated as the "offical" residence of the royal family in the Bahamas.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

Just to be a bit more clear,,,the Bahamas is an independent governing country, but still a member of the British Commonwealth..the Governor General is appointed and accepts all orders from her majesty as per her discretion. Not completely independent, but enough to handle most of its affairs. For better or worse.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

Next to the Queen's Staircase mentioned above is Fort Fincastle. While there is no lighthouse there, the view of the city and the harbor is spectacular. It's the tallest point on the island.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

The beach by the lighthouse on Paradise Island is beautiful - you just have to get there! If you like to hike you could walk there, it would take about 30 minutes along the coastline and over some quite sharp rocks..., or else you could charter a boat to take you there for a few hours to explore! I think the lighthouse itself is locked, however, so you can't go inside. I wonder if the lighthouse maintenance staff could be persuaded to give you a look inside?!?

Google the Lighthouse in Hope Town (Abaco) - it's free to the public, open for regular hours, and a national landmark!

5. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 12:35
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

wwbev is correct. When I looked my photos of the Lighthouse taken a few years ago while on a Bahamas Ferry excursion to Harbour Island I saw no beach, only large boulders and man-made surf barriers mentioned above.

When I tried to walk to the far west end of Paradise Island a few years ago from Atlantis, at one point I stopped since there were sharp coral rocks right at the surf. I decided the better part of valor and exploration was to do an about face.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 10:17
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

You can absolutely walk from Paradise Beach to the lighthouse, tho' you do need to add on that other part to the valor, not just the better part, that is true!

Just go out to the beach from the Cove or the Reef or the Yoga Retreat, take a left and walk for 30 mins! or more, if you stop for a swim...!

There isn't beach along the entire shoreline, there's a good section (20%?) that's only rock, and there for sure are rocks coming down right to the water, both natural & manmade, and some quite sharp (so some sneakers or watershoes wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't have 'island feet') so you need to take your time.

It's a beautiful beach!

8. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

In order to get to the lighthouse (over coral, shale and jagged rock), you would have to trespass on private property. There is no landing a boat close enough to not hit the rocks. And walking from Colonial Beach is over private property.

In the past, we have done this from Club Med, but the current owners of the land no longer allow it.

10. Re: Lighthouse tour in Nassau

Get answers to your questions about Nassau
Recent Conversations