We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with pigs

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Swimming with pigs

My husband and I will be going on a cruise and stopping at Princess Cays. I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm wondering if it is possible to go swimming with the pigs from there. It's something I really want to do, and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. Thanks!

savannah sound
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
1. Re: Swimming with pigs

Not possible ... but, I can bring a couple goats down ... they don't swim ... but do like to wade

2. Re: Swimming with pigs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2018, 08:26
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Swimming with pigs

You live in KY ... drive out to the country and pay a farmer $50 to throw a couple of sows into his pond and let you swim with them. He won’t mind and it will be far cheaper.

Also, a lot of tourists learn the hard way that the swimming pigs are pretty free with their bodily functions when they’re in the water. DaHermit’s goats are far more ... discerning.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Swimming with pigs

DaHermit, I wouldn't mind swimming with goats, especially if they are the little ones that jump all around.

Dusty, I was afraid that would be the case. I wanted to ask though just to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Dave, I have actually lived near pigs and never thought about swimming with them. Probably would have thought someone was crazy if they had even suggested it! I suppose it would be the same though lol.

Thank you all!

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Swimming with pigs

I just gotta say it. Am I the only one who finds swimming with pigs the oddest thing that people would actually want to swim with them? Don't they do their "business" in the water? Aren't those pigs on that island with very little to sustain them, like fresh water? How did they even get there in the first place? I think I read that someone brings them water? No offense to the OP intended, to each his own, but I've always been so confused about this.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
549 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Swimming with pigs

Did the tour.... stayed in boat. As DA mentioned pig poop floating everywhere... too many people and they bite.Baby pigs were cute though.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Swimming with pigs

I'm going to be staying in Acklins island the week of Nov 6th to 13th. Does anyone know of any tour operators that will take me from there to see the swimming pigs in a day???

I've not found anything yet. Anyone??

Also, if they can take me to see the swimming pigs from Acklins, will they also be able to make a side trip to Hogsty Reef on the return trip without an increase in price?

Thanks in advance!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Swimming with pigs

I agree with those who can't figure out why people from around the world want to swim with the pigs. We spent quite a few winters in the Abacos on our boat, staying at marinas over the winter. In the spring, we went south to the Exumas a number of times. The first time, we went to see the pigs at Big Majors off of Staniel. We had a sliced apple and the outside leaves of romaine lettuce to feed them (a head of romaine is very expensive in the Bahamas so we ate the hearts - sorry pigs). We stayed at Staniel Cay Yacht Club's dock, and took our dinghy over first thing in the morning, before the tours arrives. There was only one other dinghy approaching the beach. The adult pigs swam out and tried to get their front legs over the side of the dinghy (an inflatable boat). I tossed the food in the water, and we backed off. The other dinghy went toward the beach where they went into the shallow water, and jumped out of their boat. The woman with the food was immediately knocked down by a large adult. She tossed the food, and got up and back into the dinghy. She was pretty bloody from the hoof scrapes. I hope she cleaned them well to prevent infection. We've passed that way a few times since then, but the pigs are of no interest to us. We've seen a wild pig here and there in the Bahamas. They had long red hair, they were thin, and looked like the wild pigs in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. The ones at Big Majors are domestic pigs that have been dropped off to breed and be fed by tourists until they're ready to eat.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
549 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Swimming with pigs

@papafox....Acklins may be our next destination for Christmas. Please let me know how your trip goes and maybe some highlights! Enjoy

Thanks

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Swimming with pigs

Heidi, you know that was a joke about seeing the pigs from Acklins, right?

Are you really going all the way out there? Are you flying the airlines or a private plane?

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera