We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Here are two links for the 'Shark' fans.

This one is at Lighthouse Beach (cove-Exuma side) - rod & reel catch with two guys hauling nurse shark in with their hands to the beach at the 7 minute mark of the video.

1. www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFhifYzc9w

Here is reef sharks attacking chum by an anchor line.

2. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmfE2wkRY8

Edited: 20 November 2013, 22:38
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

I wasn't going to comment on this as but I think some of the comments are a little unfair. Please consider before slandering someone, no where in the video did I see them kill or harm a shark. I am in no way condoning harming any animal for sport, people including myself commonly catch fish and photograph then release or take home for dinner. There are a few fish caught by anglers that by law, cannot legally be removed from the water before being released, such as goliath grouper. There used to be many shark fishing clubs on the east and west coast that would have tournaments and after weighing the sharks (hundreds) would load them in a boat and dump at sea, (dead) now that was wanton waste. Many years ago National Marine Fisheries proclaimed sharks were an underutilized specie and recommended commercial fishing for them to take pressure off other species. As usual they were wrong and many species are depleted. For centuries before that millions were killed just for the shark liver oil.

I only hope the guys released the shark (they can stay out of water for some time without harm, not that I like to see that and would personally cut it loose in the water without stress. I can assure you people still catch sharks from boats, drag them aboard, then finally release. Most of the so called professional shark fisherman now release them in the water after measuring along side.

Plus it looked like the guys speared way more fish than they needed and if so that's unfortunate. but I still didn't see them break the law. You are never going to stop people from trophy hunting or fishing. And from the tackle, they were shark fishing. I just don't think it's right to assume they killed that shark.

P.S. I'm 90% sure that was a lemon shark by looking at the first and second dorsal in frame 7:12 and 7:14, not that it matters

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Glenn … respectfully ...

I lived in Virginia Beach for 30 years, probably did 50 dives with the Miss Lindsey out of Lynnhaven Inlet … so I'm not unfamiliar with the fishing practices up your way, past and present. Nobody on that boat was allowed to take *anything* they didn't plan to eat. Sometimes we cleaned the catches, fired up the grill and ate 'em on the way back to the dock.

That didn't look like a lemon shark to me in the video, but that's not even the point. It was a pointless, illegal kill -- and that shark sure looked dead while they had it on the beach, laughing and posing with it. Yeah, big brave hunters.

You have a right to defend 'em if you like. I'll just respectfully disagree with you. As far as "slander" goes, look up the meaning of the word. It does not mean the same thing as "criticize."

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Eleuthera, the land of freedom, where a group of young guys can visit, be accused of a crime on a public forum that no one here witnessed and be threatened to have a wanted poster hung and to be defamed on social media. My comments were not meant to be disrespectful or belittling in any way, only fairness, until proven otherwise.

Times have changed, Presidents no longer pose next to African big game with their elephant gun, workers don't smoke 3 packs in the office and French fries aren't fried in lard.

When I long-lined shark by recommendation and approval of our government there were no special interest groups laying on the dock behind my boat. Nobody called me a killer, right or wrong people had a different perspective of what was important. I have always been disgusted by wanton waste of any living creature and appreciate wildlife more than ever.

From what I have read and understand, The Bahamian gov. on July 6, 2011 signed a law preventing commercial fishing of shark and sale of shark products. Sport fishing was unaffected, and catch and release is permitted.

Certain forum members provide a valuable service and devote many hours helping others, and I apologize to any perspective visitor for my part in this thread as Eleuthera is a beautiful island with some of the best people you will ever meet.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Glenn: The "wanted" poster idea was clearly meant as a joke -- if you took it literally I apologize for my lack of clarity. I just live here, I assumed most people understood that as an expat I do not have police powers. But I won't back down from my criticism of what I saw on the video that *the fishermen themselves* posted on social media.

You might also read the comments attached to that video, especially the part where the guy who posted it laughs and complains to a friend that they couldn't find enough grouper becaused they'd all been fished-out. Hah, hah.

I agree with you that it doesn't serve the forum any purpose for us to debate this further ... we're both getting way off-track from assisting tourists. I'd be happy to hash it out with you over a Kalik the next time you're down. First one's on me.

Peace-out.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

I can add some small bit to this. Of all of the places in the Caribbean region I have dived, the Bahamas is the only place where you can easily find reef sharks without baiting them. Every time I've gone fishing for snapper and jack, we have had to fight the lemon sharks to get the catch into the boat before we lose it. Once you hook one or two fish, the sharks are attracted to the vibrations made by the fighting fish and come for an easy meal. I lost one hooked fish a few months ago to a shark we never got a look at, and my sister lost one just a couple of weeks ago to a 7 foot lemon. My wife also hooked and had to cut off a pair of nurse sharks when she was bait fishing. Even when we're just out boating we usually see one or two sharks.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a complaint It's a comment that sharks are plentiful here because the government has a sane policy for preserving this very necessary part of the reef ecology. It's important that visitors realize this and embrace it.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

Glenn and others,

I ddin't want to respond until I had confirmed what I thought to be true. I have been in contact with Michael Braynen, Director of Marine Resources in the Bahamas, who kindly sent me a copy of the Fisheries Resources Act as it deals with the prohibition on fishing for sharks. In Chapter 244, Part VA, 36A, it reads:

"Subject to regulation 36D, no PERSON shall possess, fish for or land, any shark or shark parts within the Bahamas or within the Exclusive Fishery Zone of the Bahamas."

(Regulation 36D concerns the application for permits to fish for, possess or export any shark or shark parts for educational, scientific or research purposes.)

So while the regulations were meant to prevent commerical shark fishing, the law clearly states that any shark fishing at all (unless by permit for research) is illegal.

And Glenn, I think you might be right in that it was a lemon shark that was caught -- given the fins, the eyes and the small mouth, but you might also know that of all the species of sharks, the lemon is particularly sensitive to the effects of lactic acidosis. It is very unlikely that a healthy lemon shark, once landed, would lie still and pose for pictures. The light colour and blotchy skin are also indicative of stress, though I beleive the shark was already dead when the boys were posing on the beach with it. It's kind of hard to defend that sort of wonton behaviour -- particularly when you are a guest in another country.

The message is not to condemn, but to educate and get the word out. For those looking for more information on sharks in the Bahamas, have a look at www.ceibahamas.org (Cape Eleuthera Institute) and http://www6.miami.edu/sharklab/index.html (Shark Lab @ the Bimini Biological Field Station) They are doing some incredible work with sharks and other marine life, and are open to visitors as well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

!! Amen !!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

I find hunting or fishing for sport disgusting. Even if you hook it and let it go. Why put this living creature through this type of torture and stress? For sport/fun? I just don't get it under any circumstance. If you plan to eat it, fine. If not, don't even hook it.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

As I mentioned above, it can be difficult not to hook a shark when fishing for food. They show up fast after you land a couple of jacks or snappers, and then it's a race anytime you hook a fish to get it in the boat before you have a shark on the line. I have a photo taken by a friend when they were down on the Diana Banks fishing for wahoo, and one of the fish in the catch was bitten off about 1/3 of the way up from the tail by a shark while they were attempting to land it. He said that they lost another one completely to sharks by the time they got it to the boat.

As long as you don't use a wire leader, a lemon shark (unlike a nurse shark, which is a bottom feeder with tiny teeth) will usually cut right through your line as soon as you put some tension on it. Sharks don't seem to be harmed by swimming away with a hook in their mouths either.

20. Re: Nurse sharks - Reef Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 01:19