We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Goiania, Brazil
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Hi there,

My wife and I are fyling from Brasil to Miami for our first wedding anniversary this coming February,

After some research we decided to fly to Exumas for a few days during this trip. Hence my question: there is an AA flight that leaves MIA around noon and arrives in GGT about 1:30pm. The return flight leaves at 2pm back to Miami. Should I leave 4 full days in between my flights or 3 full days are plenty, taking into consideration we have a full afternoon on our arrival and a whole morning on the day of our departure. So far, we have in mind a full day boat tour, rent a whaler for half a day and visit many of the known cays and beaches in great/little Exumas.

Thanks to all,

10 replies to this topic
Houston
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
216 reviews
1. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Four days of course!

I would get the boat for one full day for sure, the tour one day and rent a car for the other.

Little Exuma
Level Contributor
560 posts
2. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Your full days is best.

Goiania, Brazil
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

well, then I guess its settled - 4 full days it is!

Can anyone recommend a car rental co.? I know they are all local, so any help is appreciated!

THANKS for all the help!

Houston
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

We have only used Thompson's but wouldn't use anyone else. Very nice, no issues.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

An observation not a recommendation. You appear to have a well planned stay as far as activities are concerned and you will have to catch you breath. Remember, you have to check in 2 hours before your departure so you will need to head for the airport about 11.30 am for your return to MIA, so between packing and breakfast, you will chew up a lot of time on the departure day. You may want to take some time meeting the people.

Anyway, enjoy yourselves.

Jerry D

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Exuma is beautiful and you made a good decision to go. The only thing you may regret is not staying longer. It may be hard to return to Miami after you see the waters and the near empty beaches of Exuma So yes- stay as long as you can! lol

A couple of things:

- I would suggest booking a car so you can get around the island. Tropic of Cancer is the prettiest beach and odds are, you may have the beach to yourself (or only a few others) but Tropic of Cancer is on Little Exuma and it's quite an adventurous drive (roads are very run down slow and steady winds the race.)

- If you haven't booked a place to stay yet I highly suggest Homeaway/VRBO over resorts in George town. You can get a privet house ON THE OCEAN away from other people for a damn reasonable price depending on your dates. I have suggestions for places to stay if you want them.

- Boat tours are great to see the other Cays but renting a boat is much more relaxing. If you can do both, by all means do both but if you can only do one, renting a boat in the harbor would be my suggestion. The all day boat tours that go out to Thunderball Grotto (coastline adventures is who I would suggest) are a full day and the ride can be fast and very choppy out at sea. - You will get to swim with Sharks (amazing) See Iguanas (cool,) Swim with pigs (cool but not my favorite part because the pigs don't see happy and they can be kind of aggressive - I've heard of them biting people before,) Celebrity houses (over rated and waste of time to stop in my opinion but that's just me,) A beautiful sand bar, and then of course Snorkel in Thunderball grotto (but know that sometimes it's too windy to do and you may have to skip it. That's what happened on our tour so we got to snorkel around a ship wreck and play with sea turtles -both ended up being my favorite next to the sharks.)

In contrast the boat rentals in the harbor you can go across to the other island and hang out at chat and chill, snorkel some spots, fish, look for starfish, find a privet hidden beach etc and the water is truly amazing in the harbor. I suggest Minns water sports for boat rental

- Tropic of cancer (seriously most beautiful beach you will ever lay your eyes on) and you can bob and swim for hours seaweed free! There is a place on the beach called Santanas and they are a great place to eat.

- If you two are active, Kayaking there is amazing as well. You can rent a Kayak for 50 bucks from Out Island Explorers. They also rent out snorkel Gear for 30 bucks a week I think?

-The rental cars can also be very run down so try to lower your expectation on the car you receive prior to getting there. It's okay though, the cars get you around just fine. The main road is very nice to drive on but all the side roads are basically one big pot hole so do drive SLOW. Last time we used Airport rental and the service was great. Next year we are trying a different one because it's slightly cheaper for a bigger car. I think they are all pretty close to the same though. They are all in the parking lot of the airport.

- Food and groceries are VERY expensive and limited. We actually pack a check in bag with snacks, bread, alcohol and condiments to bring. If you end up staying in a rental that has a fridge and kitchen, I highly suggest stopping at Prime Island Deli and Meats and Grocery for things on your way in. It's between the airport and Georgetown on the main road. You will find good stuff there.

- Our favorites to eat out were: Santana's, Driftwood Cafe (great lunch spot,) and The Chat and Chill.

One thing to keep in mind is that Exuma is mostly a relaxing kind of vacation. There's not much to do for nightlife or dining. The infrastructure on the island is very run down, they get hit with big storms often in the summer so it's hard to keep up with. The internet on the island is also supers spotty....so it's best to not count on it. Businesses on the island are also very relaxed and there is not a high degree of urgency. I myself, love that fact about it there and can easily go with the flow but for a more ridged person who is used to face paced life, it could be an adjustment. Best to relax and go with the flow as you are on island time :)

Hope this helped! Enjoy!

Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

We will be there in mid Feb as well! We will have 3 full days, as we are arriving on Sunday and leaving on Thursday. It was the most we could manage to be away from the kids. We are planning to rent a boat from Mimm's one day, do a full day tour, and spend a day visiting the beaches on the island.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

That sounds great Cindy! Minns is awesome to rent from. Be sure to rent your boat early. For a beach bum day I highly suggest Tropic of Cancer and lunch at Santana's <3 Have a great time!

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Janie!!! Thank you so much for providing your insight. Kudos to you!!!! I learned a lot from your post!

Goiania, Brazil
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?

Janie, thanks for the time to write your insights. Much appreciated!

Cindy E, hope we can enjoy sunny days in mid-Feb!

Reply to: First timer: 4 or 3 full days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted