We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the swimming pigs!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Beware the swimming pigs!

We returned from a wonderful weeklong trip to Exuma on November 17, 2017. Went to visit the pigs and I was severely bitten. It's been 2 weeks since my bite and doc just took 4cc's of liquid from this huge hematoma! Just thankful I had on a full suit as so many girls on the boat had 2 piece suits, I got bitten in the belly. If you visit the swimming pigs, please be careful!!!

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
27 replies to this topic
Great Exuma
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

Very good advice! Know of two other persons who were bitten but there may be more persons, do it does not hurt to be extra careful around the pigs!

Houston
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

Which pigs did you visit?

I've heard about the 'other' ones being aggressive sometimes but not so much for the ones on the tour.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

We met 2 girls that had bites on their backside and heard of one other girl who was bitten last year at Big Major. The pigs there seemed aggressive to me. We did not want to get out of the boat.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

We were on the tour. Interesting that the guide said “never knew that one to bite”. So clearly they know the biting ones! And not sure of the others!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

Very wise! I wish I had some heads up, would have never done this. Will def have a permanent scar😫

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

I wrote about it in my trip report on the Staniel Cay forum.

Mentioned in this post
Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay
Out Islands
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

No infection?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

Was very lucky I’d just got off a round of antibiotics, but yes, no fever! Probably should have got a tetanus shot.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

This is a very good advice and thankfully we see this before our departure to Exuma in two days! So what are the best ways to interact with the pigs? Or should we just stay on the boat?

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Houston
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware the swimming pigs!

I'm surprised! We have never had an issue and we've been on the tour 9-10 times. We even had our grandkids (ages 5-9) with us this past August and they had a blast with them.

I'm really sorry for you and hope you get better!

Edited: 30 November 2017, 22:04
Reply to: Beware the swimming pigs!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted