We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hi, I am planning a family trip to Exuma or Little Exuma and trying to determine the best location for our party. We will be bringing my parents, so I want to stay where the water is calm and my parents can get into the water without getting knocked over by waves.

A few years ago we went to Eleuthera and stayed on the Carribean side, which was perfect. The water was so calm that my parents snorkeled almost every day.

Any suggestions on areas that are either protected by the cays or on the Carribean side? We are a party of 8...possibly 10.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Houston
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location

I like February Point but not that many places with water access and are sometimes a little rocky. I would also look at Hideaways as there is more of a beach there. Both these places units that would accommodate the size of your party. You will probably have to get 2 places though but can be just across from each other.

Places around Moriah Cay are also great but the size might be an issue.

CANADA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Location

Tropic of cancer is a great beach for all ages - long enough to walk, very gradual sand entry and reasonably protected by cays and point of land. Mornings are often dead calm. On windy days the waves can pick up a bit, but less than tar bay or the cut (which are common rental alternatives). I've never found it to be not swimmable, but the undeveloped beach just around the point to the north /west is even more protected if it is very windy or less confident swimmers.

Hideaways beach is protected by Stocking island in Elizabeth Harbour, but it is a small "resort" beach and not the kind that shows up in people's panoramic vacation pics.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
557 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location

Hoopers Bay is another option, much like Tropic of Cancer. In my experience Hoopers can be very calm or wavy, depending on the wind. Hoopers is also protected by the shape of the land and a few small islands. In these two locations, you would rent a private home and both would be quite private.

Tar Bay has very strong waves in winter. Hideaways is in an area with many rental units, a pool, and restaurants and the beach is not as pretty or as private since the buildings are close to the water.

There are no beaches that I know of the Caribbean side, but I have seen some lovely rentals on the water on VRBO, Homeaway, etc - just not on a sandy beach.

Defiance, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location

We’re going for the first time end of Jan 2018, renting a house in The Cays development on Great Exuma, very reasonable price and beach looks calm there. House has 3 bedrooms, and there’s other houses for rent close by, maybe check into that area?

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location

We are okay without a beach if there is a place to sit out on a dock or patio by the water. That is what we had Eleuthera but again there would have to be stairs or a walkway into the water for my parents. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited: 02 December 2017, 22:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location

We stayed in the Cays this year and absolutely loved it. Perfect place to relax by the water. It has a pool and Gazebo as well. We are staying there again next year. If you have any questions, message me

Palmer, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Location

I am so glad to hear that others enjoy the Cays. We are staying there for the first time at the end of January. We are so excited as it is our first time on Exuma, also.

Darlington, South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location

Paradise Bay has a 4 bedroom unit. The water is pretty calm and they also have a pool.

Reply to: Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted