We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
Lodging

Our other plans for our vacation at the end of September has not worked out. We are now planning a week vacation in the San Juan Islands. We would like to use Orca Island as our base. I'm torn on places to book. I'm traveling with my husband and 2 year old. I looked at West Beach Resort but they are sold out. I now have a Hearth Suite booked at Rosario. But I'm still not sure if this is a good fit for us. I really would prefer a cabin. But I like the amenities of West Beach and Rosario. And I like how Rosario is close to town and very close to the state park for hiking. I'm currently looking at Bayside Cottages. But hesitant because those are a little out of the way. Do you guys have any cabin suggestions for the island? We are heading there in a couple of weeks. I'm not used to planning so last minute.

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Lodging

I meant to also add....

Our main focus is to relax and unwind at the end of the day in front of a fire. We want to rent a boat, take in a few smaller hikes, enjoy a ferry ride to Friday Harbor, and then have a nice enough accommodation and grounds to be able to make a lazy day of hanging out there. We just want a relaxing kind of trip. I love amazing views so I would love our accommodation to be in a scenic area. I have the room at Rosario for $1200. I would like to keep that range for the week or even cheaper.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Lodging

It sounds like you've done your homework and I suspect that what you've booked might be the best you can do in that price range. Finding a standalone cabin with a view for $200 or less a night isn't easy (I don't think there are many options), especially once you add in tax, cleaning fees and booking fees (the last 2 are common for anything rented through VRBO or Airbnb). We've rented a lot of cottages/cabins with views over the years and now have our favorites, and they all run closer to $300 (sometimes more). These are generally cabins that aren't part of a complex, though. I'm not familiar with Bayside. It is indeed a bit out of the way in terms of proximity to Eastsound but maybe if you don't need to go to town every day it's okay. It's not far from Moran. Have you looked at Beach Haven? I haven't stayed there but it's similar to West Beach. I assume you saw Doe Bay as well.

Psst it's Orcas Island not Orca. Actually named for a Spanish explorer not the whale.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Lodging

Thanks about the name clarification! I will not forget that s again :)

And thanks for the recommendations. Beach Haven is booked up for our dates as well. It did look like something we were looking for. I just called and they just didn't have any accommodations available for our dates. I even tried Pebble Cove and they are booked up too. I'm not used to booking so late and it does appear a lot has been taken.

Thanks again for all of the feedback! Definitely helpful!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Lodging

And I did see Doe Bay and I wasn't sure if it was quite what we wanted. I may look into them a little more.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Lodging

I don't think Doe Bay is for everyone. Tons of people love it though. Some of the "cabins" are really trailers so do read the descriptions carefully. There is kayaking right from there. You probably saw the tubs are clothing optional. Doe Bay is pretty out of the way--Rosario is much closer to Eastsound and of course Moran.

September can be a really busy month around here. Also, it's the most popular month for weddings here and I swear, everyone wants to go to the San Juans for their anniversary.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Lodging

Lol! It was the clothing optional that got me for Doe's. I wasn't sure how that would be with a toddler running around too. :)

Our dates go into October so I was hopeful it would be less crowded. And I was able to get the ferry reserved without issues so I was just assuming it was a slow season. I can see how it would be a popular destination for honeymoons and weddings. The islands look amazing. We have only gone as far as Oregon so I am excited about our trip. I guess I will stick with Rosario and just keep my eyes open for other options.

I really appreciate your feedback! You have been very helpful.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
743 posts
163 reviews
7. Re: Lodging

The tubs at Doe Bay are the only place that is Clothing Optional, and I'd think a 2 year old wouldn't care (and I think they limit the hours children can be in the tub area anyway.)

The bigger consideration for me with Doe Bay would be the bluffs. If the child is the kind who will run anywhere, then watching them on the bluffs could be hard.

That said, I LOVE Doe Bay. It is a beautiful location, great restaurant, and you can rent kayaks from the grounds. You know your kid and your parenting style best.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Lodging

Thanks for the info in regards to Doe Bay. I did end up checking for our dates and it did not work out. There was one option but it was a little more than Rosario.

Rosario does look comfortable so hopefully will work out being ok for us. I guess I was just wanting that cabin experience. Thanks again! And please I welcome anyone's opinions and feedback on places.

Eastsound...
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Lodging

Another place you could check is Cherie Lindholm real estate weekly rentals. They have rentals all over the island, anything from cabins to big houses. They have a great website. Our only off-season is Dec through Feb anymore.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: Lodging

Thanks for that recommendation! I'll check it out.

Reply to: Lodging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orcas