We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Grand Blanc...
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Hey folks,

First time here so go easy on me!

We typically travel from Michigan to Cabo for vacation at least once a year. I'm looking to switch things up and heard great stuff about LaPaz.

Two things: can you compare and contract LP to the other two towns and also, is it a place that you have hang on the beach all day, grab a shower and walk into town for restaurants and beaches?

Any guidance would be great. Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
indianapolis
Level Contributor
399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Hmmmmmm well La Paz is much slower paced. I have been adding days on to Cabo trips the last 5 years to spend in La Paz and those days keep becoming more and more. The best beaches are actually 10-15 minutes out of town so that's where we spend a majority of the day light hours. Balandra is absolutely stunning. no pictures I have ever taken do it justice. The water is like glass and bluest blue yo uhave ever seen. They have palapas on the beach you can use for free or if they are all taken there is 1 vendor that rents umbrellas and chairs. It is BYOB and food here so bring a cooler and hang for a few hours then head over to Tecolote, about a 2 min drive lol. this is the active beach with the bars and water activities. The food is phenomenal and you will seriously die at how cheap it is there compared to Cabo. we usually spend 3-4 hours here then head back to condo to shower and head into town for dinner. Once again you will be amazed at how much cheaper it is. we had 5 of us there last month and had dinner at Tailhunter(my favorite restaurant there). We had 13 margaritas, 5 dinners and 2 deserts for $99 U.S. feel free to message me any questions you may have. I absolutely love it there and I am looking to head there for 6 days in July and skipping Cabo entirely.

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
48 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Hi Dave L,

There is no way to compare Cabo with La Paz, you can have the best of both worlds, on one hand Cabo has the party and luxurious all inclusive hotels but on the other side La Paz is the perfect place for nature encounters, as RedRocker mentioned, Balanda is considered as the most beautiful beach in Mexico by the USA Today and also two years in a row rewarded by Trip Advisor, once you finish with your day trip to the beach it's as easy as going to hotel, take a shower and drive or ask for shuttle from your hotel to downtown and walk the malecon or stop by any restaurant or bar

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Hi,

First time replying so here i go.

Could you recommend what area to stay in please that we could walk for dinner and Bars.lol (Aussie love a drink)

We are heading to Cabo and have decided to do 4 days in La paz and 3 in Cabo,

Is there buses you can catch to the beaches.?

Cheers in advance.

indianapolis
Level Contributor
399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Any place on or near the Malecon. Hotel Catedral is a new hotel not far from Malecon and it is beautiful and very reasonable!!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

I agree that Balandra Beach is a must and probably one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen before. The water is clear and so calm almost like in a pool surrounded by mountains. I snorkeled there too although it is not common. Surprisingly I saw plenty fish and cool things under water.

Swimming with whale sharks in La Paz is awesome too. Highly recommend. This is what it was like for me.

Edited: 16 May 2017, 18:21
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

This is some of what it is like with whaleshark tour. https://youtu.be/Up6MgBPGgO8

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

I second the Hotel Catedral recommendation. The breakfast was wonderful.

Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

Sounds amazing! I'm planning to go next month with my husband and 2 kids under 10 but have seen the travelling warnings issued this week. Have you had any security issues while in La Paz or do you have any tips while staying there?

indianapolis
Level Contributor
399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compare to Cabo and SJD....

It is a huge city and the problem areas are no where near where you will be. I am heading back in October and can't wait!! go enjoy and walk the Malecon. you will see families walking day or night. The beaches are amazing!

Reply to: Compare to Cabo and SJD....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted