We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Can you recommend some places outside of the city but close enough to come in for dinner eg a half hour drive or so? Also what are the nicest beaches that are easy to swim in eg not too rough? Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
1. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

It's quite surprising to hear someone asking about a beach in La Paz who doesn't already know about Ballandra...but then again, I didn't know about it before I came here either.

Ballandra is by far the most beautiful beach in the La Paz area. It is about 45 minutes outside of town (I can get there in as little as 15 minutes, but give yourself 45 to account for ferry and beach traffic, especially at "rush hour".

To get to Ballandra, you can take the EcoBaja bus, or a taxi (or any of a number of tour companies who offer private shuttles).

As for food, there are several great restaurants on the next beach, Tecolote. Otherwise, the drive isn't too bad.

There are other beaches, including Tecolote, Playa Pichilingue, and a few others on the way, but Ballandra is by far the most beautiful. Be sure to hike up the hill and take photographs of the beautiful bay and other tourist spots and landmarks, including the iconic rock pile that there are statues and photographs of all over La Paz.

Enjoy yourself!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,963 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Hi

Check out Playa Balandra and Playa Tecolote for good beach options.

When do you want to visit?

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Thanks. My husband and I are planning on going in January. We will be flying from NYC but our daughter will meet us there who lives in LA. Can you swim in January?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,963 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

I have not visited in January, but I hope you get some good replies.

The staff at Mar y Aventuras was very helpful when we visited La Paz a few years ago. They went above & beyond!

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Thanks. Actually we are going to Baja in January. We are still trying to figure out where to go but are considering near Paz. We like quiet place that is not too touristy and would like to be able to swim but we need to be near some restaurants and grocery stores as my daughter has some dietary restrictions so we cant be too remote.

indianapolis
Level Contributor
497 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Check out the Costabaja Resort. It is just outside of town and closer to the beaches you will want to visit. Balandra and Tecolote are amazing and Balandra is like glass and Tecolote has very small wake so both very swimmable!! You might check Airbnb for condos in the Costabaja communities. they are really nice and have full access to the resort amenities. Water in Jan will be chilly!!! I go every Feb and still chilly depending on air temp!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
198 reviews
7. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

"We like quiet place that is not too touristy and would like to be able to swim but we need to be near some restaurants and grocery stores as my daughter has some dietary restrictions so we cant be too remote".

Check out Los Barriles.

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz

Thank you all for your repilies. After much consideration we have decided to fly to Cancun instead and are going to the Yucatan, staying in a small town Chenuyil? , near Tulum. We changed coasts as we are afraid in January in Baja it may not be warm enough to swim. I do appreciate all your help!

Reply to: NIce beaches and places to stay near La Paz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted