We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Poway, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Hi, We live in San Diego, and there are some direct flights to Cabo (we did this last year) but we want to head up to LaPaz for a change. I am wondering -do we rent a car? Public transportation? Taxi? I would like to know from someone that knows the options and some prices. Also, if you know the expected travel time from airport to LaPaz Centro for each option. Thanks, Christine

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,024 posts
70 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Hi Christine,

I would suggest renting a car, unless you can find a good fare into La Paz (did you check for specials from LAX?). The drive is actually quite pleasant, and you can do some site-seeing along the way. It's not a really short trip unless you are used to doing it, but we thoroughly enjoyed it when we did it several years ago. I think we took about 6 hours to drive down from La Paz to Cabo, but we stopped and looked around in a few places. You could do the bus, and I think you might find info on that in places like www.loscabosguide.com, but haven't looked yet. A Taxi would be as much as a plane ticket ;-)

I would stay at the Los Arcos if I went again, as it's a good central location on the Malecon.

La Paz
3 posts
2. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

A rental car can be expensive. If you're planning to hang out in La Paz on foot, which is easily done, your best bet is taking the Aguila bus. The drive can be a little nerve racking the first time. Personally I prefer to take the bus unless I'm traveling in a large group, then I'll just drive my truck.

When you arrive in Cabo, go to the right after exiting Customs and go to the shuttles/taxis. They look like orange and red vans. Tell them you want to go to the San Jose del Cabo Aguila Bus station. This costs 8 USD per person, you can haggle when they say it's 10. For example say "last time I only paid 8" or something like that.

When you get to the bus station go inside and ask for tickets to La Paz. They're 140 pesos per person, last time I rode the bus which was two weeks ago. The bus will take you to the newly completed bus station right on the Malecon in downtown La Paz. From there you can walk or take a taxi to your hotel.

The bus is nice because you can look out the window and really enjoy it instead of slamming on the brakes around a curva peligrosa (dangerous curve!).

Also remember that if you're driving to La Paz on the day you arrive, make sure that your flight comes in early because you do not want to drive at night and the bus does not run after 6pm.

Hope this helps if you have anymore questions, feel free to drop me an email.

Rachel

rachel@lapaz-realestate.com

La Paz, BCS
7 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Hi Cristine.

I live in La Paz and I must tell you that a car is a good option because you can move where ever you want to, but it is kind of expensive. Car rentals in Mexico can be very pricy.

There are very comfortable buses that can take you all the way to La Paz and drop you off at the bus station which is in the heart of down town. From that same bus station you can get to the best beaches in La Paz.

From the airport you can catch a public bus or suburcabo to the San Jose Bus station. Just ask the driver to drop you off on the highway right at the entrance. The bus station is a block from the highway so I don't think you will have problems carrying you luggage. There is a bus heading to La Paz every hour from 5:15 AM to 7:15 PM if I remember right. Important! Get the short way trip; there are two ways to get to La Paz. One is by Todos Santos. A gorgeous town you should also visit. And that is the short way it takes 3 hours to get to La Paz down town. The other one is through San Bartolo, it may look shorter on a map, but it goes through the Sierra and is very windy.

Once in La Paz there are lots of nice hotels you can pick from 5 stars to little rooms. There are also very pretty bed and breakfasts ran by Americans.

Check these web sites out.

Hotel Club el Moro

www.clubelmoro.com

Hotel Marina.

www.hotelmarina.com.mx

Hotel Hacienda del Cortez

www.haciendadelcortez.com

Los Arcos Hotel

www.losarcos.com

Hotel 7 Crown

www.sevencrownhotels.com

La Concha Hotel

www.laconcha.com

Baja Bed & Breakfast

www.bajabedandbreakfast.com120

El Angel Azul B&B

www.elangelazul.com

You can grab a cap when you get off there are always around.

To go to the beaches from that same bus station I think it's something like 4 dlls each way and they leave every hour, but you can ask just to make sure

Oh and to you should definitely go to The Espiritu Santo island. There are many tour groups that can arrange that I know a web page for two.

They are called Fun Baja

www.funbaja.com

The Cortez Club

www.cortezclub.com

Ok I hope this helps you. Have lots and lots of fun on your trip ok and enjoy the Baja to the max. Be safe and wear lots of sunsblock lotion.

Sophie.

Fort Walton Beach FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
81 reviews
91 helpful votes
4. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Have you made this travel yet? I'm flying into Cabo in March and want to travel by land to La Paz for a week or so. Haven't figured out how I'm getting to La Paz but I don't want to fly or rent a car. I'd be interested in your experience.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

I'd just like to thank Rachel and Sophie for taking the time to provide such excellent, detailed information on bus travel from Cabo to La Paz. Everywhere else it just says "take the bus", but you both have given us enough detail to give us confidence that this is a truly viable option. You may not know how many of us out here read and benefit from your information, so I thought I'd tell you. Thank you!!!

Laurie

PA
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

I agree with Laurie. Thank you Rachel and Sophie for your detailed info. It does give us a little more confidence.

It is always difficult when travelling to a new place, especially when it is outside the mainstream travel. I mean, everyone has heard of Cabo San Lucas, but no one I know here on the East Coast has ever heard of LaPaz, and yet it is the capitol of Baja!

Pat

San Francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Thanks for the bus information. How full are the buses? Will I have a problem getting a bus seat to La Paz if I arrive around 3 in the afternoon....coming directly from the airport after my flight.

Thanks, Brenda

satellite beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

You should not have a problem getting a seat. That is the time of day when we arrived, and just before Carnavale, and had no problem. Read the rest of my recent post regarding the bus to La Paz: Just completed our La Paz/San Jose del Cabo trip. One big important tip for the bus-everyone tells you to ask for the short route to La Paz from San Jose del Cabo bus station. Make sure it is via Todos Santos and not San Bartolo. I speak spanish. I asked if it was the short route, neglecting to specify the Todos Santos route. I was told it was the shortest. We ended on long, winding, mountain roads with stops at every tiny town on the way...the San Bartolo way. I cannot emphasize enough to specify "la ruta por Todos Santos, no por San Bartolo". Unless you really want to see the country side slooooowly. It can be a good thing for different people, but as it is, even the Todos Santos route is about 2 1/2 hours.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Thanks for the bus information....Muchos Gracias....I will try to say "no por San Bartolo" when I get my bus ticket...Thank you, Brenda

Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
18 helpful votes
10. Re: How do you get to LaPaz from Cabo airport? Or is it best...

Since I am traveling with young children, I opted to take a van with www.transcabo.com $165 one way. Pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel in La Paz. A lot more expensive than the bus, but... you gotta do what you gotta do.