We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

My husband and I are wanting to add a little adventure to our regular trip to San Jose del Cabo and have come across this beautiful island in the sea of cortez. Can someone tell which camp is the best for location, food, and accomodations as price is not an issue. there seems to be 2 main ones that i have found so far - FunBaja or Baja Camp so i am wondering which would suit us better.

Any other information re: catamaran trips out of La Paz would also be interesting to us.

Thanks so much!

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
1. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

There are no villages on Espiritu Santo. Excursions bring their own food, water, and tents and are self sufficient. There are no permanent camps. All the bays are beautiful there.

I don't know of any catamaran trips out of La Paz. Most excusions are via 16 to 24 foot high speed pangas with large outboard motors. You can charter a catamaran with captain through The Moorings, but it can get expensive, maybe $600 to $1000 per day. In a catamaran, it will take about 4 hours to reach Espiritu from La Paz.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Thank you for your reply today and yes i understand that the island has no habitants on it and it sounds wonderful getaway. I am just wondering if someone can tell me what company to use for the camping experience in terms of the best overall service and accommodations - considering we are at camp of course.

Its good to know that there are no real other choices on the cat tour idea - this keeps it pretty narrow for us in terms of what to do. We just wanted something different other than two weeks in the same place again, no matter how much we love our place in san jose, so thanks in advance for your help!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
960 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Check with REI out of Seattle as they have run kayak camping trips in the past.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Almost40, beaches at La Paz are beautiful as well, we went to 4 different ones on our last trip, driving up from the malecon...not too far.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Thanks Vancouver - and you must live near us in the Fraser Valley!

Anyways we want an "experience" as its a special anniversary so thats why we were looking for a luxury beach camp to chill out and enjoy the sea of cortez. we arent fanatical about anyone particular activity ie. snorkel, kayak, etc. but rather enjoy abit of everything including good rustic food and wine.

so thats why i am wondering which camp puts on the best experience and the ratings on trip advisor are a bit confusing as it almost seems that the fun baja and the baja camp are one and the same?

Ciao!

CD

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

we had a great time staying at hotel perla in July, it's central location to everywhere, locate across from the beach, close to restaurants, you can walk on the melacon in the evening, or sit in the bench and watch the sunset, just beautiful!

North America
Level Contributor
155 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

We booked with Mar y Aventuras for Jan; so have not gone yet, but so far so good, they are very thorough. It does not seem luxurious by any means though, but nice camping.

I looked at Baja Camp and there has been no reviews since 2007. They are only open from May to September.

I will post our experience with Mar Y Aventuras once we are done. The come recommended in the Moon Guides, plus their website is extremely detailed, which I like. Hope this helps.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

thanks for your input. i am leaning to do a 2-nite stay in a tented camp at Espiritu Santo but just wanted to know who to book it through as there seemed to be a couple of companies doing the excursion.

North America
Level Contributor
155 posts
102 reviews
9. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

I found this one today as well:

http://bajaex.com/

No reviews since last year but the camp looks more luxurious with safari-style accommodations. Pricier than Mar y Aventuras but they seem very flexible with dates. Good luck in you search!

Edited: 03 November 2010, 10:37
North America
Level Contributor
155 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: Which camp at Isla Espiritu Santo is the best?

Forgot to add they said somewhere on their website they have a two-night minimum stay.