We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
31 reviews
Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Does anyone know of whale shark tours out of La Paz or even farther south? I will be staying outside of Los Barriles in February and would LOVE to do a few hours or half day tour. Having trouble finding tours on the net that aren't 2,3 day tours. Anyone know the driving time from Los Barriles to La Paz?

Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Hi, there are many companies I am told that offer these tours. I plan to go in February and the lady at Mar Y Adventures ( who does offer 3 day trips) says that the one day trips will be offered about a month in advance. This is because they only offer the tour when the whale sharks are in the area. Supposedly peak seson is Nov - March. Some other companies I have heard of are Marlin adventures, Good luck spotting one! I sure hope I get to as well!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Not sure if completed your trip...

Check out the following web sites. They offer tours which include snorkeling and/or diving. www.azultourslapaz.com, http://www.kayakbaja.com/trips/DayTrips.php, www.bajaseafaris.com, www.kayactivities.com.

Also, look into the Cortez Club, they may be able to tailor a tour to your liking.

Hope you have a great time or had a great time!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Here's another one that offers 1/2 or full day trips: kayactivities.com/itinerarios/daytrips.htm

According to Google your drive should take a little over an hour if you take either 286 or the 1.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

I haven't gone yet, the trip is in February. I certainly appreciate your input, i will check those sites. Thank you!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Just got back - do not use the 286 unless you are wanting to take a long leisurely road trip and then head back to the 1. Take the 1 to get back to SJD. Three hours by car, but we did it in 2.5 Will post more info in the next few days.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

We used Azul Tours for our 4-hour snorkel/sea lion tour. Their phone lines and email were down, so we just headed to Tecolote (about a 20 minute drive north from the CostaBaja Resort) and booked with them in person. We paid 650.00 pesos which was approximately $50.00 US. The tour leaves at 11am, so be there by 10:30am or earlier. Be sure to get fitted for your mask and fins as they will not offer. I insisted that I do it at the shore and tested them before getting on the panga (40-foot fishing boat) -- I didn't want to ruin my snorkel adventure with a leaky mask and ill-fitting fins. We did the obligatory sea lion swim at Islotes and then hit the Ensenada Grande for lunch (simple ham and cheese sandwich with ceviche, tuna salad and chips) and some off-shore snorkeling.

The ride from Tecolote was about 50 minutes as they are closer to Isla Espiritu. If you leave from La Paz add about another 50 minutes if you go by panga. Should be less if you hire a more "westernized" boat like the ones used by http://www.funbaja.com/ Not as intimate, (we only had two other people on our craft - the others had up to 9) but the ride will be less bumpy. Cost with FunBaja $105.00 US.

We didn't specifically as for the whale shark tour; however, they will tailor their tours to your liking. Also, if you head into La Paz, there are tour guides/boats everywhere. Just be specific about what you want and they will get you there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 16:45
Barrington, Illinois
2 posts
7. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

I will have a few people (up to 10 to 13) with me as we go to La Paz for the day. Your post was really helpful....I would like to hire a "westernized" boat for the day....Snorkeling with the Whale Sharks and Sea Lions sounds interesting and fun...would like to get your opinion on that.

Who would you call for that kind of boat and trip?

Also, we are coming from Cabo, any ideas of the best way to get there?

Thanks,

Mark

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

Whale sharks are gone by March - we are going to be in La Paz in early March and everyone told me the w sharles are pretty much gone by the end of February - early March - I was bummed but at least we can still do whale tours ;-)

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

MarlinAdventures.net

Someone recommended driving from Los Barriles to La Paz via going back to Los Cabos? Sorry but that's terrible advice. Just drive north to La Paz.

10. Re: Swimming with whale sharks around La Paz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 01:18