We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexicoach for CA trips?

Solana Beach...
1 post
Save Topic
Mexicoach for CA trips?

Has anyone used Mexicoach for tours within CA?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

I just used Mexicoach for San Ysidro to Rosarito over Christmas, and it was VIP service all the way! We went on the Mexicoach bus to Tijuana and then they provided a private car to go down to Rosarito as there were only two of us going that far. On the way back, same thing. Also, the bus was fairly crowded from Tijuana to San Ysidro and the supervisor made sure that we had a place for our luggage before the crowd got on the bus.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

I know this is a late reply to your original post.. but hopefully it will be useful to someone else in the future. My husband and I are from Australia and we used Mexicoach to go to Tijuauna a couple of days ago. We had read pretty good reviews, so felt it was the safest option.. How WRONG we were. Although the driver spoke no English, the trip in was pleasant and uneventful. When we arrived at Avenida Revolucion there was a Mexicoach staff member at the bus stop who advised us where to meet the return bus and the times. We were told the last bus was 5:30pm. To be totally on the safe side, we were back at the bus stop at 4:45pm. At 5:30pm the staff packed up the Mexicoach stand and left, telling us the 5:30pm bus shouldn't be too far away... So, here we were with another tourist couple standing in the dark street, unsure what to do. At 5:55pm the bus came. I'm not sure if the driver was drunk, or just a bad driver, as he sped up and literally mounted the curb. Once we were on board, he drove so erratically that he almost hit five cars on the return to the border.. then picked up three illegals near the border (accepting cash from them to allow them on our bus!!), AND also let a couple of panhandlers onto the bus to accost us for money!! We felt quite vulnerable in circumstances where we should have felt safe!.. Then, to top it all off, he abandoned us at the border while we were clearing customs (probably because his little illegal friends got caught trying to go through customs on dodgy paperwork!!) ... Although we were back in the US, we then had to find our way back to the carpark in the dark. NOT A GREAT EXPERIENCE.. and not one that I would recommend!!!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

That sounds horrible! I'll continue to advise people to rent a car and drive to Rosarito. For me, being in charge of your destiny yourself makes up for a few extra dollars to rent a car.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

In response to ShelbInOz comment about people getting on mexicoach.

I am sure you got your moneys worth. AS also would like to suggest for any time you go outside of Australia that it pays to know a second language or to learn a bit of the local language. At least thats been my case in the multiple countries I have been abroad in Central Europe, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Latin America. In your case, according to you you had a terrible experience and I can understand that the driver was probably not the best. But then again let me ask you this. How much did you pay to get across the border and was Tijuana your only destination? How do you know the people that got on were illegals? Did you check the passport of each of those "illegals"? Did you ask where the drop off was or the procedure before boarding the bus?

I ask this because my boyfriend and I went on Mexicoach while he was visiting from Netherlands. We asked all questions at the Mexicoach office and on the return asked the bus driver. Luckily, one of the four languages I am fluent is spanish. So i was able to communicate and understand that Mexicoach is one of the bus lines that goes across the border from San Diego to Tijuana. As well as Mexicoach also goes to Rosarito or Ensenada and back for a minimal fee compared to other bus lines that go to both sides of the border. Prior to our trip we checked tour prices and we noticed that for 2 people other bus tours charge anywhere starting from $75 to $220 roundtrip from San Diego to Ensenda per person or $50 - 100 roundtrip to Rosarito and back to SD. That is pricey! But then again it would of been pricier for us to get a car rental, pay for gas, car insurance and still waste time waiting in line to cross back at the border. We also checked the border times to get anapproximate idea of how long it would take which made us realize it something like 4 hours if we drove back in our a car or 3 hours to get across in the line to cross back that day. On a regular basis it standing in line to cross back during the week or weekend can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. So All these factors made the mexicoach bus ride inexpensive.

Anyhow, mexicoach only charges $20 roundtrip to rosarito. I think is somethingaround $10 Roundtrip from San Diego to TIjuana and back. This is one of the most inexpensive ways to see baja california without the hassle. That is why when the bus reaches the border and if its not full the driver lets people on before a certain point which is us territory( the gate near the embassy office) These people that get on not only includes mexican residents but also us citizens travelling from other parts of the country, southern california locals and foreigners like yourself. Any person in their right mind in a hot day. especially if they know that to get on the bus it cost something like $5 dollars per person one way.

For those that don't know- buses pay US Immigration/customs a yearly fee to get on special lane called "Sentri Line" . The bus after crossing the border picks up passenger from san diego heading to tijuana and goes back. That is why when you reach the checkpoint where the customs officer is marks end of the bus route. Unless you paid to go another city in california thru their bus company or want to pay to go back then you should get back on. But thats the end of the route for everyone. The officer checking the bus ask you to stand on a special sentri line for bus passenger which is also quite short and nothing compared to the regular lines to cross immigration Therefore, you should not say they are illegals...and I doubt theres anything to feel unsafe about Because all these people that get on the bus are not concerned with you or what you have. But are concerned in getting home, going to work, going shopping, catchinga tour bus to go on holiday or contnue their vacation.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

@cass015. I respectfully suggest that I did not get value for money at all. No bus service should abandon paying passengers half way to their paid destination... especially in the dark. Also, it was pretty easy to work out the young Mexican nationals who boarded our bus were illegals. They DIDNT even have passports and were booted out of the customs line and sent back into Mexico when trying to enter USA.. You don't need a degree, or a second language to work that one out...

6. Re: Mexicoach for CA trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Tijuana