We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas!

Puebla, Mexico
Level Contributor
318 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas!

We are beach lovers---from dawn to sunset, but the beach at Tangolunda Bay (Dreams, Barcelo etc.) appears to be hiving with sand fleas. These annoying insects seem to prefer some humans over others. I am "preferred' and it can be an itchy, and quite ugly misery. You will see a mass of red pin pricks over sufferers' legs.

Not great if you are going to be attending a function at a hotel there.

Has anyone a solution?

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas!

Put a mosquito spray on

use one with high concretation of deet

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

henderson
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas!

If you happen to have it with you...works for us....sunscreen...then spray on Skin so Soft.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas!

Chlortripolon-antihistamine tablets for the itchy skin worked for me, tho can cause sleepyness

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas!

I got bit too, but I think it happened more on the golf course than at the beach...

Here at home, once spring arrives, I try not to eat bananas, and I try to use more citrus fruits like oranges and lemons when I cook...even add a slice or two to cold/hot drinking water...however, for whatever reason, I threw that logic out and pigged out on sweet shooters and sweet blender drinks...then I wonder why I got bit up so bad...

I will defiantly have to try my own advice next time we hit the Hux!

oooooo, a plane just flew over the house...wish I was on it back to Huatulco!

Puebla, Mexico
Level Contributor
318 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas!

Thanks for all the replies! I think Wayne's DEET advice may be the best, though I have read about Skin So Soft.

The bites I get at Tangolunda are like no others! I only get them on my legs and that is why I call them sand fleas. The hotels area is sprayed so thoroughly that no mosquitoes dare come near!

When we lived in the Tropics, eating papaya 9 (with a generous squirt of lime for taste) was recommended to discourage insect bites, and we have it with breakfast and lunch in Mexico!

Otherwise it is Deet and antihistamine pills because I do love the beach at sunrise.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas!

My daughter had to put on mosquito spray on her legs whenever we went out at night, to breakfast, anywhere, walking to the lobby -- she would get bites all over her and they weren't mosquitos. I was with her at the same time and never got bit. But I'm bringing the bug spray just in case.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas!

"No See Um's" Check out these two sites. Everything you always wanted to know about these little critters. One site does recommend antihistamine and repellent

1. …jea.com/AnimalFact/Arthropod/NOSEEUM.htm

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas!

Here is a good thread on sand fleas....

scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/362636-pic…

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas!

Is there a certain season for them??? We were there end of Dec and we never got any. Usually we are magnets for them. Tried not to stay on beach later in day as that is when I got bit in other destinations.

Puebla, Mexico
Level Contributor
318 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas!

Re the season for being bitten by sand fleas. We have been traveling to Huatulco for over twenty years for stays from November to February, as well as beaches all over the world; we have even slept in "palapa" equivalents in villages by lagoons in the South Pacific , but it is only on Tangolunda where my legs get covered in tiny pin point, red, itchy bites! And I have seen a few other fellow sufferers. Hence the post.

But we love the beach there, so I will return I hope---with a good supply of meds.

Huatulco is the most lovely part of Mexico.

Thanks for all the advice!

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco