We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

JBS
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

We are considering getting condos with another family either in Huatulco (likely Chahuhe) or in Puerto Angel. I know they are quite different and am having a hard time figuring out which to choose. Is it easy to get around and see some markets and different beaches from Puerto Angel?

Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

Puerto Angel is a nice little fishing village. Its near (via taxi) Zipolite, San Agustinillo, Mazunte and La Ventanilla. Mazunte is a nice beach and home to the National Turtle Museum. La Ventanilla is a small community that tends a spectacular mangrove estuary full crocodiles, egrets, iguana and more. Zipolite is a beautiful, clothing optional beach with a lot of beachfront restaurants. San Agustinillo is another fishing village (without the pier that is in the center of Puerto Angel. Huatulco is a resort area. There are many more restaurants, beaches, things to do and places to shop. Personally, I much prefer Huatulco, but often visit the places I've mentioned above. If this is your first trip to the area, I'd strongly recommend the Huatulco area (Chahue is fine) and that you take a day or so to visit these other communities.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

If you stay right in Puerto Angle there are lots of cabs available to get to Pocutla and the spots Idaho mentioned. Some of the newer projects are off the beaten path so to speak. For a short stay plenty to do. Monday is the main market day in Pochutla.

If you choose Huatulco, as Idaho posted, you can rent a cab or van for the day and see a lot. On San Agustinillo there are beach cabanas you can rent. Un Sueno is our favorite.

From Chahue you can walk to Santa Cruz and into La Crucecita easily.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

Puerto Angel area has amazing food for less expensive and more accessible beaches. The little unique beach communities is what makes this area. Travel by cab or car is quite helpful.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

You might try TA's Puerto Angel forum at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g153984-i9105-Puer…

CH

Edited: 23 February 2013, 09:45
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

luv huatulco.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

Puerto Angel is very "rustic" compared to Huatulco from what I saw.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

Ukie1 is correct, if you want something that is more polished Huatulco is your place. Puerto Angel is authentic Mexico but the advantages are more beautiful and accessible beaches and lots of fantastic inexpensive restaurants to eat at.

This site lists beaches in the area. All are open to the public. ownmexico.org/beaches-of-the-oaxaca-coast/

Also check http://www.tomzap.com/oaxaca.html as it is jam packed with information.

8. Re: Huatulco or Puerto Angel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco