We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Manzanillo

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in Manzanillo

I read somewhere that US $ are not widely accepted in Manzanillo - is this the case? If not, should pesos be used for tipping (in particular) hotel staff, taxis, etc?

We are staying at the Tesoro in January, does anyone have a contact e-mail for the hotel - I would like to make some arrangements before we arrive.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

Normally pesos are preferred however as the peso is in the dump right now if you was to offer a waiter, bartender etc dollar or a 10 peso note he would most likely take the a dollar as he could get over 13 pesos for it. Now if you offered him 13 pesos or a dollar he most likely would take the pesos saving himself a trip to the bank.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

Peddler's answer is bang on with regard to the tipping. For purchases USD are actually accepted in most places in this area however, you won't get as good an exchange rate from a merchant as you will from a Bank, Casa de Cambio or ATM.

North Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

Thanks so much to you both - one more small issue to check off my list !

USA
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

As I've mentioned before, I was embarrassed to find out well into our trip, that it is proper to tip the students that are baggers at Walmart any spare coins that you might have.

It is part of an effort to keep kids in school. Too many kids are used by their parents to "perform" for tourists in the hope of bringing home some money. Cute kids are everywhere and it's not hard to fall into the trap of helping them out. The result is uneducated kids that grow up without an education. it goes without saying that with age goes cuteness. Walmart (and I think the other two large stores) have a program where students bag for tips.

Once I heard about the tipping we immediately began making up for our ignorance. What was interesting is that the tipping is done on the sly. The kids would thank you while sliding the coins under cover. There is no "tip jar". While commendable, it's the reason we were clueless.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

Good point, a lot of people don't know that and it is good that you brought it up. It applies for sure at Soriana, Walmart and Commercial Mexicana. Probably the Ley store in downtown too.

The senior citizens that work the bagging shifts when the kids are in school work for tips only also and they are all low income so the program helps them too.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

Absolutely, they really appreciate the tips. And no, US dollars usually aren't the best way to give a tip. It's a great way to get rid of your spare peso coins though! It's always handy to have some on hand in case a window washer jumps you at a light.

Mexico has a very strongly entrenched tipping culture, so when in doubt you can usually give a tip (propina in Spanish).

I actually wrote an article about tipping in Manzanillo here:

manzanilloblog.com/tourism/…

Hope that helps!

7. Re: Tipping in Manzanillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 07:23