We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

My first time at this resort and just wondering if it's worth upgrading to oceanview. It seems like all rooms face in towards the ocean so it would seem you could get at least a partial ocean view without paying the extra costs. Any room or floor suggestions? Any other tips for this resort would be appreciated. We are going early December

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

I think that's a difficult thing for other people to quantify. For us, the upgrades are never worth it, because we're not in our room very often. Unless we plan to spend a LOT of time on the patio, we feel like our money is better spent on spa treatments or off-resort restaurants or whatever. But then, I know many people who don't want to eat off the resort or go on tours, and spend lots of time relaxing in their rooms and sitting on their patios; they tend to consider the upgrade worth it.

The shape of the hotel is a long U, and both times, we stayed in the bottom of the U; I'd imagine the further out on the "arms" you are, the more you'll see. Pretty much every room above the ground floor will have a very nice view of Manzanillo Bay. Our first year there, we stayed in a regular room, and had a very nice view; the next year, because of a booking error, we got to stay in an oceanview club premium suite, and had pretty much the exact same view.

The only time the views start to get really amazing is if you splurge on a room with a plunge pool on the patio outside.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

Thanks...we don't normally upgrade either and definitely won't be splurging on a room with a plunge pool and patio (although that does sound amazing). ...lol! I do like to sit out on the deck in the early morning and read and Manzanilla Bay would be a nice backdrop but think I'll take my chances by requesting a room on one of the higher floors. Do you what floor the reg rooms end the suites begin.....I thought I read the suites are on 6 & 7 so would it be reasonable to request on the 5th floor or would that be considered ocean view

Thanks for your help

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

All rooms are jr suites excluding the fancy smancy club preimum rooms. If you want a good room ask for 5th fl or higher (so you are over the trees). Even if you get a gaarden room you will be overlooking the Las hadas golf course so it's still a pretty view. You will love this place. They take such care of the guests.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

Thanks, that's helpful!!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

Well our group rented about 15 rooms. All paying the same price.

10 of the rooms were partial ocean view rooms. Could face the side. But you get to see the whole ocean.

Unfortunately myself and 5 other rooms were placed on floor 1, inner room, patio was ground level with people walking by.

I would request a room that faces the golf course to the south. Nothing extra,

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

If you don't like your room you can always ask to change it. This is why check in is at 3 yet checkout is at noon. It gives housekeeping time to clean the room from the first guest and then the one that you left if you changed rooms. It's like this at at all resorts. They are very nice about this if you ask politely.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

The ocean views in Manzanillo are pretty spectacular, though! Red sunrises and sunsets.

8. Re: Is oceanview worth the upgrade at Barcelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 00:15