We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

There is a travel advisory for this area. Is it safe to travel here. What happened that caused a travel advisory for this area. I asked this question yesterday and for some reason it was removed.

Thankyou

1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 21:05
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

It is safe but just like any large city you must practice common sense. The hotel and restaurant areas are very safe. I would not bring my family there if I did not feel safe. The travel advisory has to do more with the dangers in other areas of the State of Sinaloa, where Mazatlan is located. The capital of Sinaloa is Culiacan and that may not be the best city to visit.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

Read the actual travel advisory. It spells it all out.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

It is a generic warning for the whole state. Perhaps you haven't seen the news in the last year. There is a war between the drug cartels. If you are in a drug cartel, you probably don't want to come to Mexico. If you are not in a drug cartel, you won't notice a thing.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

IMHO, just as Roger says. I cant go this year...*sob* But my kid can. I am booking his trip, my only worry is HIM! Look out Maz! May I say "sorry" in advance LOL!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

Actually it is not a generic warning. It clearly states the following:

"Furthermore, the city of Mazatlan has experienced a recent increase in violent crime, with more murders in the first quarter of 2010 than in all of 2009. U.S. citizens should defer unnecessary travel to Culiacan and exercise extreme caution when visiting the rest of the state."

That said, we will be in Mexico again this year, as we've been doing annually for the last 30-plus years, and before then all the way back to the early '60s.

We are not afraid and we will again have a great time.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

I've been here since October 31 and expect to be here until May 2011. My grandson will be visiting next month. Nuff said.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

Yep as I expected I felt as safe as I always have in Mazatlan. If you're not looking for trouble the odds it will find you are miniscule.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

Actually from all I have been reading, seeing on TV and in the press, and personally knowing about...I was amazed at the lack of Federales about town. I guess I have become used to them as a fact of life in Zihuatanejo. But I saw less cops like at the big banks, around the government buildings...just the last day I was in town I suddenly realized that I had not seen anything more than police cars and those type of police. Each evening when I was sitting on my balcony in Old Town I would see a parade of open back trucks and the Federales coming down Olas Altas...like they were coming back home to sleep after being "somewhere" all day. Probably about 10-14 truck loads of them...

Maybe because Mazatlan is so much bigger than Zihuatanejo...I didn't notice them...but I was looking and watching to see what was going on in town...as I am aware of past situations...but felt much more relaxed in Mazatlan than I am in Zihuatanejo!

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Mazatlan

The travel warning contains the information you need to know. I was there in March and felt perfectly secure even though I knew some awful things had happened recently. The police were traveling up and down Ave. del Mar in heavily armed convoys all evening at that time. The last vehicle in the convoy was often a truck with a manned heavy machine gun mounted in the back.

I had a great time as usual. I think it all depends on your comfort level.