We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mardi gras

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sudbury Ontario
11 posts
Save Topic
mardi gras

Could any one recommend a hotel(s) along the parade route that would have second or third floor balcony that the perade could be viewed from

Can't wait

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mardi gras

Are you looking for something more budget, or something upscale? You can find different price ranges along the Avenida del Mar, so knowing that will help us answer the question.

Sudbury Ontario
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mardi gras

We are actually looking to just use the room to view the parades. We will probably not be staying in the room

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mardi gras

In that case, Hotel Hacienda arranges that sort of thing.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mardi gras

From my book, which will be updated and rewritten-- in print and through another publisher next month, "Mazatlan IS Paradise:"

On Sunday night and Tuesday afternoon of Carnaval, there are parades along Av. del Mar featuring more than three dozen floats. The parade on Sunday starts near the Fisherman’s Monument and goes north to Valentinos. The Tuesday parade is shorter and goes from Fisherman’s Monument to Olas Altas. It may go a different route so check with the local newspaper. In 1999, I joined hundreds of people near Valentino’s for about three hours, and got discouraged because the parade was late and the size of the crowd made it almost impossible to see.

If you want a decent place to watch the parade on the street, get there early and bring a chair. There are plenty of vendors and restaurants around so that you can buy refreshments as you wait. Remember that Av. del Mar is a boulevard, and the floats go along the west lane (nearest the water). Don’t expect the parade to start on time—or even just a little bit late. You don’t expect anything else in Mazatlán to be on time, so why would you expect the parade to start promptly.

During several parades, I rented a street side room at Don Pelayo Hotel for a minimum three-night stay. We used the room only one night and invited a dozen other people and had a dinner party while waiting for the parade. Then we watched the procession in comfort from our balcony. After the conclusion of the spectacle, we partied for an hour and by then the crowds had dispersed and we walked to our homes in the tourist zone.

Of course, there's the food festival in the Plazuela Machado (better to go Monday or Tuesday in the mid- to late-afternoon hours to beat the crowds). Bands and food booths are in abundance at Olas Altas all week of Carnaval.

Mexicans celebrate Carnaval more than tourists, and I believe it is too bad. I think it is the fault of North Americans living in Mazatlán year-round warning tourists of huge crowds and noise. Carnaval is a fiesta, not a drunken brawl. It is masses of people having a good time. In the States we have no problem fighting the crowds at the State Fairs, Fourth of July fireworks demonstrations, and the many state and national inaugural balls. It’s the same in Mazatlán.

I only provide the following warnings. Don’t try to drive downtown to Olas Altas for the fireworks demonstration or the street dancing. Take the bus downtown. If you don’t leave for the bus stop immediately following the fireworks display you may miss the last bus. If you don’t want to take the bus back to the tourist area, walk north about two miles to the Fisherman’s Monument where many taxis are available.

Many expats head out of town or plan at-home activities during Carnaval week. My plans are to stay in town and enjoy the festivities.

5. Re: mardi gras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan