We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday on the Malecon

Mpls,Mn
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
17 helpful votes
Sunday on the Malecon
Save

We iare in Nuevo and I am thinking about taking a taxi into town tonight. I have read about Sunday nights at the Malecon and was thinking it might be a good time for some photos. Is Sunday evening special, and about what time of the day is the best to get down there? Thanks!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
22,515 posts
113 reviews
150 helpful votes
1. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Sunday evening has more people out than the other nights, and it can get pretty crowded. I think it has gotten to the point where almost every night is active, but Sunday is still the most active.

Getting there about 6 pm should work for getting a table if you're planning on eating dinner on the Malecon and watching the sunset at 7 pm. Not all the vendors and street performers may be set up but they will be by the time you're finished with dinner.

As far as dinner from the vendors...you'll see hot dog and Elote vendors, and once you've tried them you probably won't want them again.

Elote is very good when made with the right kind of corn, but the corn they use is field corn and is difficult to digest, and chew.

You'll also see cups of cut up hot dogs which are very unusual tasting and the Mexicans like them a lot, but I don't know a lot of tourists who crave those particular hot dogs lol. So, in light of that I don't suggest dinner from the vendors, but it's always interesting to try these things.

There are fruit and dessert vendors with pies and cakes that are very good, and there are two crepe carts...both excellent and different from each other. :-)

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
126 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

mnbruce, Sunday evenings on the Malecon are not to be missed. Beginning around 5pm there should be music and Salsa / Cumbia dancing on the plaza in front of Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, across the street from the Los Arcos Amphitheatre; everyone is welcome to join in and enjoy the evening!

There will be variety acts (clowns, magicians, juggling, street break dancing, comendians) entertainment in the Los Arcos Amphitheatre beginning around 7pm. I'd suggest getting there a little early as it does become quite crowded and can be SRO later in the evening. [There are public bathrooms {$5 Mxn pesos} just below and to the South side of the Amphitheatre seating area].

Stroll along the Malecon from the Northern end near Hotel Rosarita down to the pier at Playa de los Muertos, taking in the food vending carts, artists, indigenous dancers, hand made crafts for sale..... many things to create a wonderful entertaining evening. The Malecon in Pto. Vallarta really is an experience unto itself on Sunday evenings in particular, other evenings to a slightly lesser degree.

!Diviertanse!

Mpls,Mn
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Thanks very much to the both of you for the fantastic info! This is why TA exists.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
19,965 posts
218 reviews
366 helpful votes
4. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Agree with both Kansas and LS Gumby. If you haven't done it before (and you're not crowd-adverse), Sunday on the Malecon is a very special attraction.

We've stopped going on Sundays in High Season as it's way too crowded for us and I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm afraid I'll trip on families, lots of teenagers and bicycles and highly-active people not watching where they are going --- and little dogs and the kids racing around in those little cars. Too many falls lately, so it's a hazard for us. If you're young and agile, those things wouldn't cause an issue.

We do love the Municipal Band and the dancing and EVERY possible *feast for the senses* that you can imagine. If you're prepared for the crowds and a bit of *over-stimulation* (which you now are) ---- it's a Do Not Miss!. Have a fun evening!

Edited: 4 years ago
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
5. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

I you get to the Malecon before 6 pm-ish, look for a large pole (bay side) near the sea horse statue and you will see the Voladores de Papantla show (don't forget to tip after).

If you are still there between 9 pm and 10 pm, the pirate ship tour will set off 7 or 8 fireworks from the water just off the Malecon.

Boozy crepes are delicious but messy, bring wet naps.

Edited: 4 years ago
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
64,481 posts
23 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Sunday evening is especially busy because all the Mexican families are out along with the tourists. But really any time is good to visit. We especially enjoyed one group of young men who were street/break dancing. But it's just good to be there with all the energy of people gathered together.

After many years and many trips, I finally saw the Voladores doing their aerial act but that just happened to be by chance during the daytime as I was walking in that area.

Mpls,Mn
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I am about to head down there.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
66 reviews
64 helpful votes
8. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

Would love to hear back from the OP on what they thought of Sunday night on the Malecon. For me, way too crowded to do Sunday night pretty much any time of the year. IMO

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
409 posts
76 reviews
69 helpful votes
9. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

I love it. We always head to the plaza in time to watch the band concert and everyone salsa dancing (good photo ops), then walk over to whatever restaurant we've reserved a spot at on the Malecon. (We were there last month and had a 6:15 res at Vitea. Good thing, as all the tables were full. Timing was perfect, though obviously it changes w/the seasons. Food and live jazz keyboard guy both outstanding.) After dinner we just walk around and enjoy people-watching all the local families. I agree w/suze2you, the break dancers were really fun as they each tried to one-up the last guy. We've never tried any of the food booths as we're always too full, but those crepes always look and smell tempting. Do it!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
64,481 posts
23 reviews
73 helpful votes
10. Re: Sunday on the Malecon
Save

I don't have a problem with so many people around. I mean it's all outdoors. All the people is what gives it such good energy.

US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.