We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
601 posts
29 reviews
Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Hello. We would like to fly from Guadalajara to Vallarta. My research shows that the only direct flights that are reasonably priced and decent times of the day are AEROMAR and VIVA AEROBUS. Does anyone have any experience with this that could share their experience/s. Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Try TAR. Right now, their schedule shows a 48 minute flight leaving at noon. Many flights under $100 US.

https://tarmexico.com

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Given the overhead of flying (getting there early, security, etc.), you may be just as well off showing up at the bus station and hopping the next departure. The luxury lines (scan the boards; aim for the most expensive, remember "$" is the peso sign) offer a very comfortable ride.

You don't need to pre-book. Just show up whenever ambition or hangover allows.

Just my two pesos.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 01:09
Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
256 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

The ETN bus is a luxury bus, sit upstairs in wide, comfy seats with onboard entertainment. The route to Puerto Vallarta is quite pretty as it winds through the mountains. ETN buses run every couple of hours from GDL to PVR and cost 635 pesos ($30 USD). https://etn.com.mx/

Edited: 19 June 2018, 08:31
Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
601 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Thanks All. With regards to the ETN bus - is there a restriction on the number of bags/weight that you can bring back to PV (we may want to purchase some things for our condo)? Also has anyone flown viva aerobus - is there a bag restriciton? - their site says you can pay an additional $100 approx for extra bag - is there a bag limit? As well, has anyone flown with them - were flights on time relatively speaking? Any insights appreciated. Thanks,

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,067 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Vivaaerobus is an ala carte Airline. So you will pay for each bag that you check with them. You will pay for an advance seat assignment, you will pay for a snack, you will pay for kiosk check-in. They will nickel and dime you to death on Vivaaerobus. For that reason alone I have not flown them amongst my Mexican Airline travels.

Yes the buses have luggage storage beneath the bus. I do not know what their luggage policy is, I am sure if you are bringing many many checked bags they will charge you for them as they have cargo space there as well. But I don't think that they are going to weigh the bags like the airline's most certainly will.

¡Diviértanse!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
205 reviews
6. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

I agree with post #2 (VP) --- BUT, the best bus, in my opinion, is Primera Plus. Reason? It is equally luxurious to ETN and less expensive.

Primera Plus does not have a double-decker though. We take Primera Plus because their schedule is more frequent, usually.

I've checked four pieces of luggage and husband had two --- underneath the bus. Ours are not large though. What I can tell you is ---- the main cargo compartment under the buses I've taken from PV to Guadalajara and back to PV is never full. I can only speak for 6 buses, but that was our experience.

If you're carrying a big piece of luggage, or a box or two, you should be fine --- as long as it's not the size of a small refrigerator. My little stuff got lost in that huge luggage cargo area under the bus.

7. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 June 2018, 12:54

Level Contributor
17 posts
8. Re: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara

Looks like you're limited to 25 kg each person for cargo without paying additional charges on ETN. They also offer parcel service, here's the English link https://etn.com.mx/english/pack/

Reply to: Airlines flying between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted