We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Houston
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Looking for some suggestions of places to visit without a tour guide and suggestion of previous travelers would be appreciated. The Malecon, Tequila factory and Botanical gardens is on my list of things to see. I will be in town for seven nights so have a lot of time to fill. I would like to see some little villages in the Mountains, plantations ect…. I am not good with crowds and enjoying exploring on my own. I will be renting a car, but do not want to stay elsewhere overnight

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Since you are renting a car, go north to Sayulita or even further north. Take the longer way back around through Punta de Mita and La Cruz. Stop in Bucerias on the way back. All are nice small Mexican towns with some great restaurants and nice beaches.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

There are no tequila factories in PV, there are a few mock ups showing how it is made, but that is just a front to sell you tequila.

As far as I know the closest factory is in the town of Tequila several hours drive from PV.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
259 reviews
3. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

JenninHtown .. there's a Tuesday morning guided tour of the sculptures located along the Malecon that we've heard is most-interesting and a lot of fun, and there's no charge. Details in this link:

www.pvscene.com/?p=1765

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Ted is right about the tequila. It all comes from the town of the same name which is located about an hour from Guadalajara. A nice walking tour is start from the north end of the malecon and go south to the river. See the flea market and the river walk shops. Then end up along Los Muertos Beach where there are plenty of places to eat and drink right on the beach.

J R
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Sorry to contradict but there's an operating tequila still at Las Juntas y Los Veranos, south of town on the road to El Tuito. I also know of at least three Raicilla stills, which uses exactly the same process as distilling Tequila, within a two hour drive.

One at Altamira, 2K past El Tuito, another at Hacienda El Divisadero, located in Guasimas, there's an ATV tour that goes here and just before the turn off to San Sebastian in the village of Nogalito, there's Tony's distillery. Here's a map:

http://vallartainfo.com/outerlimits.html

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

The only true blue 100% blue agave Tequila is produced in Tequila, Jalisco. Other variations are mezcal and racilla, as JR mentioned and produced in very small amounts in a couple little places around here.

The Tequila "Factory" tours here in the Puerto Vallarta area are either mock-ups or miniature compared to the massive production places like Sauza, Herradura, Jose Cuervo and such in Tequila.

No comparison.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Thanks Brenda, that is what I was trying to say. We have friends who go to the one south by Mismaloya for their flavored tequilas

Flanagan, Illinois
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

I'm going this weekend and plan on doing the Botanical Gardens, Yelapa, and that sidewalk art tour by Gary all without paying the tour price. When I get back watch for my review and will tell all. Well maybe not all don't they say what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico.

Well anyway hope to be able to help when I return, 3 nights to go. Nicole

Fort Walton Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Hi JR - These closer areas for tequila - are they places we could take a tour of and do sampling? THanks!

J R
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Seeing Vallarta without a tour

Well, you can reach them by bus, the El Tuito bus to Las Juntas y Los Veranos and all the way to El Tuito and take a taxi for the extra 2K to Altamira. Map: vallartainfo.com/tours/atv/corrientes.html