We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Four years ago we went to a very nice restaurant in PVR..I believe it was called Port ....something..

can not recall the name..they make homemade Tequilla, which was perfect. We want to go back there and buy some more Tequilla.

Any ideas what restaurant this was?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,261 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Do you remember where it was, ie: what part of town? That might help us narrow it down.

The only restaurant I can think of with "port" in the name is Porto Bello, a more upscale Italian restaurant in the marina area. Does that ring a bell?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

It was a Mexican restaurant...had a guy sing with a guitar..

believe it was in downtown PVR or the marina area in PVR

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,261 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Hmm...nope, sorry. Lots of places downtown (and around town) have strolling guitarist/singers, but I can't think of a Mexican place with "port" in the name...

Any landmarks, or maybe menu items?

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Are you sure "they" made it and didn't but it from an outside source? It is common for restaurants to have Racilla (moonshine) but they buy it from someone who makes it and sells it to them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
52,135 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Sorry but a Mexican restaurant & a guy with a guitar doesn't narrow it down much (lol)!!!

Yucaipa, California
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

El Andriego serves tequila that they claim to make. The tequila was good, but I thought the food was ordinary. The restaurant is pretty, good service and a guitar player. No "port" in the name, however.

Calgary
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Other than trying to narrow down a Mexican restaurant with a guy playing guitar....in Mexico, is anyone else curious as to know why you'd want to buy moonshine (racilla), when so many great tequillas are so cheap.

odcd: if it is racilla that you are after, you may want more because of the crazy affect it gave you or how little it took to get you sloshed? OR maybe you really did experience someone's restaurant made tequilla.

But know this, that racilla and tequilla are two different liquers with very different affects.

Good luck in your search!

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Spotcat:

you are right, el Andriego claimed to make their own tequila, and kept filling my glass up. The stuff was tapped out of a barrel right there in the mnain restaurant. I lost track of time after a while. Dont know if it was raicilla. By the time I was done it could have been kerosene.

Cafe Roma has tequila made for them, and Fox will sell it by the bottle if you want. And it is pretty good tequila. I just polished off my last bottle.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

"why you'd want to buy moonshine (racilla), when so many great tequillas are so cheap."

Because I like raicilla and don't like tequila.

I still have a liter in the bar, if there is another safety post I think I'll have a sip or two ;-)

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
367 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Restaurant in PVR that makes moonshine

Sounds like you were simply served some raicilla, which is widely available and varies little from place to place. I don't know which restaurant you're talking about, but for the booze I'd say to just ask about some good raicilla when you get to town.