We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
5 reviews
I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

We will probably end up in PV again for Christmas but I am kicking around trying a week somewhere else. I love the people and the pace of PV. We can walk around downtown 7 days a week. We enjoy the Velas Vallarta and condos downtown & south side. Is there another aprt of Mexico we would enjoy for a week or should I not try to fix what is not broken?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,283 posts
76 reviews
11. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

Hi Kathleen: Re driving. This is a dandy site see link below if you're driving anywhere in Mexico because it routes you and gives you the current toll rates. The current toll rates to Guadalajara are 266 pesos one way and 618 pesos one way to Guanajuoto (you have to pay in pesos). In summer, I wouldn't recommend you take a rental car on the non toll roads; it's not worth it. Anyway, here's the site:

sectur.gob.mx/wb2/…traza_tu_ruta_carretera

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,195 posts
598 reviews
12. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

Billkath...

carey & bz1, gave you some great info and right on target.

Guad. is absolutely nothing like PV, as they both have more or less stated. It is a huge city with tons of traffic ( I really do not advise you driving there, unless you really have driven all about Mexico before, it is not an easy drive in Guad. I do it all the time and trust me it is not for the faint of heart! JMHO. I would take the bus.

Guad has a lot to offer for the first timer, Tonala & Tlaquepaque are musts. English is not as frequently found as in PV....It does have some great restaurants as well as night life...not on beach...and a whole different world than PV.

I live about 40 minutes outside of Guad. at Laguna de Chapala. A tourist destination for Guadalajarians. You could also squeeze in a few days here if you liked.

Guanajuato is a lovely city...roads are underground in a tunnel system, lot of history and a college town, very clean. I love it there.

Now remember there is no beach in Guad. or Guanajuato....if you are looking for a different atmosphere than PV but still a beach destination then I have two recommendations that I personally love....Mazatlan...quite different from PV in that it is a tourist area yet tourism is not its only factor per say. It is the biggest what do you call it, shipping Import/Export are via Boats etc. ( sorry can;t think of name of that) also it is considered shrimp capital of Mexico. It has a very different feel to it than PV, More like a working tourist beach area ( now I am at a loss of descriptive words). There is a lot to see there and the beaches are long and hard packed for the most part. They are infamous for what is called the Pulmonias, which are open aired taxis. They are quite fun. I believe Banda Music also originated in Mazatlan. There is shopping there and some great restaurants as well. But totally different than PV. It is also a bit less expensive than PV. We go to Mazatlan at least once a year for two weeks.

Another lovely beach area is Ixtapa, here you get two areas in one so to say. Ixtapa and Zihuatenejo. Ixtapa is kind of like the resort /hotel area, some shopping , restaurants and such and then Zihuatenejo a city ( or what they call small fishing village, though I have a hard time finding it a small fishing village.) It is quaint

, has shopping and beaches and restaurants as well.

I would say Ixtapa/Zihuatenjo is smaller than PV and less populated by tourists from out of country. I tis a huge vacation destination for people from Mexico City. There are mountains, beaches, and such there. We also go here at least once a year and have a timeshare there, that is to die for, which hangs off a cliff.....right over Ixtapa Bay.

Try reading up on all the places and then see what appeals to you.

In my opinion, the place with the most English is PV. Guadalajara & Guanajuato the least. Mazatlan and Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa more English than Guad or Guan. but much less than PV.

Feel free to PM me....if you wish....I am going to Acapulco soon but have not experienced it yet.

I personally love PV & NV and surrounding areas but I also think it is nice to see other areas as well. You already know I love the beach so most of my travels are to somewhere that have a beach, though I have been to many places without a beach, but I prefer the beach destinations!

I know how you feel it sure is hard to branch out from PV...but what the heck , nothing ventured nothing gained and of course you can still return to PV!!!

washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
5 reviews
13. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I think i will look in to tickets when I get there.

Bezerk, maybe we can get together for lunch?

I have sen the hotel reccomendation from Caeryoslib, any other reccomendations, maybe a little less expensive?

Thanks

Kathleen

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
14. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

Kathleen,

I can recommend Hotel Cervantes, very close to the Historic district of GDL and the hotel Media Luna in Tlaquepaque for moderate priced accommodations.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,283 posts
76 reviews
15. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

I also have a couple of more moderately priced options. Near the historic centre is a brand new hotel, quite upscale. We paid 690 pesos/night in early March. Here's the website.

http://www.hotelportobelo.com.mx/

The local expert for Guadalajara, Sersol, gave us the above recommendation and also recommends a b&b in Tlaquepaque which is very reasonable he says. It's called the Rosa Morada. There's a review on TA here. I would stay there for sure.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,195 posts
598 reviews
16. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

Carey & bzy1..gave you some good recommendations, I know of some of the places but have never stayed, for that matter the only overnight in Guad I have done was in a hospital when son had his tonsils out LOL.

We will have to see what your dates are as I amy be in PV when you are in Guad., also Guad. is yes close to me but a hassle to go there unless a real need...traffic horrid...LOL

17. Re: I love PV, will I like Guadalajara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 08:16