We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Travel

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Travel

My father (86) and I are planning to spend January in the Yucatan (Chixculub) and would like to spend the first couple of weeks in February travelling to Puerto Vallarta by bus - stopping off in small towns and/or villages along the way. Can anyone give me any advice on this? How long does it take to get to Puerto Vallarta from Merida - do you have to go via Mexico City or is there another route? Which small towns would be interesting to spend some time in - my father would like to see the "real" Mexico? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Travel

WOW! Great trip idea & many many options. First you might want to order at www.guiaroji.com.mx a road map. Will make your travel easier.

You probably could bypass Mexico City but why? Give it at least 3 nights to visit the Zocalo, Museo of Anthropology & of course the pyramids.

Or you could do it up the coast hitting Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Lazaro Cardenas, Playa Azul, Manzanillo (side trip to Colima), Barra de Navadad/Meleque then PV.

Also could go through MC to Morelia with a side trip to Patzcuarao, Guadalajara & then PV.

All these routes would give you a option to explore some smaller interesting villages. Morelia/Patzcuaro has many around the lake. The coast one has literally dozens of small ones on lovely beaches.

Have fum planning & going. Would love to go along!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Zocalo
Zocalo
4,522 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro
Michoacan, Mexico
Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Travel

This sounds like a fascinating, ambitious trip. Distances are large, roads are sometimes slow, but what a chance to see amazing places! Mexico has some 700 bus lines, and buses are the major means of public transportation in Mexico. Some of the first class bus lines are more comfortable than the airlines.

Two books I might suggest:

1. The People's Guide to Mexico - a wonderful guidebook about life off the beaten path in Mexico, including a fun section on bus travel. See their web site www.peoplesguide.com

2. Bus Across Mexico, by Robert Berryhill - the schedules and fares might be a bit out of date, but long-distance bus travelers have described this book as "essential."

Both should be available online. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
3. Re: Bus Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 18:19