We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the Lemons?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Where are the Lemons?

Can anybody tell me if any grocery store in Puerto Vallarta sells Lemons? I cannot enjoy fish or seafood without real lemon, limes just on't cut it for me.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the Lemons?

hmmmm i can't reacall i've never seen a regular lemon in PV... only "limons" (little limes) -suze

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the Lemons?

If lemons are not availble at all in PV, is there a way to make an application with customs to bring in lemons from home. (that were actually imported from Florida)?

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Last winter we needed some lemons for a recipie and went out on a search. We hit the usual outdoor market on the southside, Leys, Mega, Walmart, Sams, Costco and found not a single lemon. Later that day we stopped in Rizzo's to pick-up a few things and there it was! An entire bin full of nice juicy yellow lemons!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Not sure what Mexico's rules are, but I know bringing citrus back to the US (or at least California) is a huge no-no, I think the signs say it is a $25K fine.

The limons in PV are usually pretty sweet and really good on fish, although many of us noticed they were more bitter recently, I am guessing due to the large amounts of rain this summer.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 16:42
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the Lemons?

I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I THINK you can declare the food item (in this case, lemons) on your customs form and if they have a problem with it they will let you know and make you dispose of them.

Again, I could very well be wrong, but I think as long as you declare them, the worst that could happen is for them to say you can't take them in. I don't believe there would be a penalty/fine if they were declared. Now if they find them and you don't declare them, there could be a problem.

I'm guessing that one of the little plastic lemons with lemon juice in it wouldn't meet your needs? That may not meet your needs. I think bzy1 used to have some friends that "imported" those for her?

Good luck!

Cheers,

Deanna

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Costco has lemons pretty well all the time

hope this helps

Bruce

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Deanna Mexico allows NO foreign fruit in from the US. Declare it or not they will confiscate it! Happened to my best friends with lemons. Also no Mexican fruit into California especially avocados.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Unless they are transported by corporations, not by individuals. ;=))

I could swear I saw lemons at the WalMart in Mezcales last month but I might be wrong. Sure loved their produce section though. Very colorful.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the Lemons?

Thanks for the corrections peddler665 and Marly.

It was an idea anyway. I thought you might be ok if you declared it. On to Plan B I guess.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are the Lemons?

I would bring the small little plastic lemons that are squeezeable and have the lemon juice in them. They are small and fit into luggage real easy.