We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quinceanera( Mexico)

Glendora, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Quinceanera( Mexico)

Does anyone know what this would cost?

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

Cost who? Are you planning it for your family member? The cost is very much variable depending on what you want, how many people, how elaborate, etc. It is similar to planning a wedding reception with music, a hall, food, all the liquor, security, etc.

Glendora, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

I am sending money to Mexico for the event. Wanted a ball park figure.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

It depends. My little sister in law had one three years ago that cost more than our wedding here for 80 people!

I was livid because my in-laws are poor and we help them out when we can financially. She insisted on inviting over 300 people. She had 15 CAKES! One huge one - a doll (dressed like her) and 14 "smaller" cakes on many levels and a champagne fountain below the doll cake!"

Our part as "padrinos" was to buy beer- she wanted 50 cases....she was lucky to get 20 cases from us ---I was so angry.

I still do not see why poor families insist on have a HUGE extravaganza when they can barely afford day to day life but that is the culture here.

We were one of the many "padrinos"- (people who contribute to the fiesta)

You should not be on the hook to pay for more than one part of the quinceanera,

Most Padroinos pay for the dress, or the beer, or tequila, rental space (salon de fiestas), food or cake or music, not the whole thing. Just one part. So just send the money you feel comfortable sending....they will then decide what you are the "padrino/padrina" of.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 09:26
Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

I was one of 4 "padrinos" for the alcohol part of a Quinceanera and each of us put in $500USD. The total cost of the party ended up being around $9,000USD.

I completely agree with bzy1. It's crazy on how much some people spend for a one night party. That amount of money could be used in many better ways.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

My maid's was about 20,000 pesos.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

Quinceaneras, sweet sixteen parties, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs are all in the same category in terms of being culturally driven. I know that how fancy the last three become...... is unfortunately affected by what their peers have done in their celebrations.

Is the amount the contributor gives for a Quinceanera dependent on the relationship with the young lady?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

Not really, unless you're a padrino/a.

It's the coming of age for a Mexican girl, she can now 'date', in these modern times maybe without a chaperone.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

I agree with give what you are comfortable with. We have been to several quinceaneras and they've all been pretty fancy, more so with the more well to do family.

We were at a loss of what to give as gifts, so we went with the always useful choice of cash.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 13:56
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

Money always works, at a Mexican wedding it's a tradition to pin bank notes the the bride's dress as she dances with the groom.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quinceanera( Mexico)

In terms of numbers, as far as the event itself, most larger restaurants have big party packages. One we go to often offers $220 pesos per person for a minimum of 90 people, includes beer and soft drinks. (This is just an example See below what is included.)

tripadvisor.com/…29867256

Maybe someone else knows the price of dresses, the other big expense, but they should be able to get something very nice for under $10,000 pesos, and probably much less. Other costs like cakes, invitations, music, should be negligible.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 15:21