We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle release

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle release

Will be there 7-28 through 8-4 and I see that the turtle release programs start in August. Has anyone participated? Is is fun, helpful, educational? I have two daughters, 18 and 21 coming with me. We are staying near Mismaloya.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle release

We helped with the turtle release a couple of years back. It was a highlight of our trip. We would have done it more than once but the release is done right before sunset and it rained every other day at that time. This was in early October.

August seems rather early for the releases but if you saw it on some website, make sure to contact the organization putting out the information as they would have more information on what to expect. Since that would be the very beginning of the release season, my guess (and it's only a guess) would be that there may not be many babies at that time and they may not do a release every day.

We did it at the Westin Hotel in the Marina. We released 400 babies that night. Watching those little guys swim out to sea (heads bobbing) is something you will never forget.

Since you're south of town, I believe Dreams also does a release (or used to) so you could contact them or maybe whatever organization you were reading about could direct you to a location. Several hotels do the turtle releases as an official environmental program on Banderas Bay.

The sad thing is -- only 1 of every babies 1,000 babies released will survive to come back and reproduce but we have to keep trying.

Good luck in finding a program you can participate in. You'll really enjoy it. If you miss it this trip (due to being so early), make sure to come back some October which is "turtle-reason high season."

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle release

We did a turtle release in Ixtapa last Nov. and it was amazing. Those little guys get caught in the waves and get washed back in flipping over on their back etc.. They make those little legs go to get back to the ocean, etc. over and over. I took my little guys out past the breaking surf to give them a head start. Hmmph, they never even looked back to say goodby :-(((. It's sad when the "kids" leave home.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle release

Do the releases happen in October? We just booked and would really like to participate. How can we do this?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
969 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle release

We were there the first part of Oct., staying at Dreams. They had a turtle release there at sunset and it was so cool! They had a great set-up. Can't remember if this is was done on a nightly basis there at that time of year but we did it one night and it was a great experience.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle release

Where are you staying, juco?

Several hotels participate in the program so it does make it easier if you are staying in one of those hotels. As Willows and I mentioned, the releases DO take place at Dreams and October is the "high season" for turtle releases.

The moms come and lay their eggs on the beach beginning in June and that's when the teams start collecting them. The laying season will go on for awhile. The eggs take awhile to develop ---- while they are maturing, the teams will put the eggs in a sand nursery at some of the hotels. The Westin had a turtle nursery there --- I imagine Dreams does also as the environmentalists who run the program don't want to have to transport them too far.

While we were at the Westin, they were doing the releases every other day (approximately). It depends on when the eggs hatch as the babies are released within 24 hours or so.

When we were there in early October a couple of years back, there were approximately 6 hotels in PV that were doing the releases. Fiesta Americana had dropped out of the program that year as their nursery got flooded during the rainy season.

Depending on where you are staying ---- if you are staying at a large hotel on the beach, ask your concierge if they participate in the program.

If not, talk to the concierge at Dreams if you are staying toward the south end of town. If you are staying in the Hotel Zone, contact the Fiesta Americana. If you are staying in the Marina, contact the Westin or Marriott concierges. Those are the hotels which have participated in the program in the past.

Good luck in finding a release program. These are all free, by the way.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle release

Did a turtle release at the dreams PV last weekend so the season has started, Number of turtles less than number of people so only the kids got a turtle to release which was fine. There was time for all to see touch and take pictures. Later in the year I am told the number of turtles increases dramtically. the guy at the Dreams say they released 16000 last year.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle release

Thank you marly for your detailed responses.

Dayton, Oh.
Level Contributor
59 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle release

Going to the Vallarta Palace end of Augus/ beginning of Sept. Know if there is any turtle releases in that area - neuvo Vallarta?

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle release

Wow thanks for the great info. We are staying at Villa Del Palmar. I think that is only 2 hotels away from Fiesta Americana? We stayed at the Qualton which is now Hola 10 years ago, so I maybe not be right about how close the FA is. When we get there we will ask and hopefully try to participate. It is 1 of those things that I have always wanted to do.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle release

16000, wow that is great! Even if only 2 per cent make it to return, that is over 300 adults in the future. Great work being done!

I have participated two different years in January, and loved it both times.

BTW, the resort in Nuevo Vallarta, near where the turtle rescue group is located is Bahia del Sol. It's a short walk from the free trolly or bus that travels south from the Paradise Village shopping center or from the OXXO near the Sea Garden.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 12:58