We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Swimming

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
334 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Swimming

We love swimming in the ocean, IF the sea is not polluted and the waves for exiting are not too rough.

Any good locations in P. V. ?

Linda Mar, would it be a good hotel?

Summerland, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Swimming

While staying at Dreams PV I was in the water every day along with many others.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,796 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Swimming

Lindo Mar Resort is a very nice place.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Swimming

You can also try the beach at Playas Gemelas where the wave is always there but sometimes can get a little rough. Or travel south to Mismaloya where you can have kids playing in the wave along with adults. Or hire a panga in Boca to take you to the many beaches south of there where the water is warm and clear and you may one of just a few on the beach.

Lindo Mar is beautiful. Boutique is a word I see used often along with clean, friendly, close to town, and a great restaurant on the beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
257 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Swimming

The beach at Dreams PV is the best in PV although you can only access it if you are a hotel guest. And the hotel is the best AI in PV.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Swimming

Puerto Vallarta is not located 'on' the ocean, but within a large Bay, of the Pacific Ocean. Conditions 'within' the Bay can be quite different from those that can/might be experienced out on the open coast.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Swimming

Missed the edit to add ...

We (daughter and I) loved to walk to/from and enjoy the small cove beaches south of Los Muertos beach - between Los Muertos beach and the Lindo Mar Resort - this past May.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k448952…

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Swimming

... sorry about that, here's a link that works:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k448952…

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
334 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Swimming

Many thanks to all who replied.

I used the term "ocean" because it seems North Americans use that term for "sea". Bay or not, some beaches are safer ( and cleaner) for swimming than others.

Some years ago I read, in a Mexican paper newspaper, that the beach at Mismaloya can get polluted because of a river close by? Maybe in the rainy season?

Thanks again for all the tips!

Mexico is a beautiful place to visit.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Swimming

I just went on a tour to Marietas Islands with Vallarta Adventures. It was awesome- and the water was super clear despite the heavy rain early that morning. (40 to 60 ft)

They also offer the most snorkel time of any boat tour and they supply the equipment. (If you dive, you can add a dive trip for a little more)

Here is some more info from a different thread with photos at the bottom of my post: tripadvisor.com/…35421405

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Swimming

In general, you can swim in the ocean in the Vallarta area all year most of the time. Conditions vary seasonally. Generally summers have less wave action so the water is clearer. Summer can start as early as May and last until December, but it varies. This applies to the whole area, including north of the Bay.

The most consistent place for all year ocean swimming if you prefer calm waters is Rincon de Guayabitos, Los Ayala--realistically 1.5 to 2 hours north of Puerto Vallarta by road. They are app. thrice protected so parts of it are like glass, even in winter.

Closer, the beaches across from the Marietas are also ususally calm (El Anclote, Emiliano Zapata). You can take a bus from Vallarta.

But the lovely beaches mentioned (eg., Playa Gemelas) are much closer and, has been pointed out above, have waves but, at least normally, not dangerous. Even Playa Los Muertos right in town is quite inviting much of the time.