We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety and drinking water?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safety and drinking water?

I have heard mixed reports on safety. Coming to PV in Nov. is it safe compared to the US? For example NYC? Can you go out with young kids at night and during the day? Is there places to avoid? Or places to only stay around.

Seperately, is the water safe? Can you drink it everywhere? Or just hotels (we are staying at the Westin). Can you eat the food everywhere without fear of getting sick.

Yukon, OK
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety and drinking water?

I'm from the u.S. and have drank the water all over P.V. and have eaten all over town and have never gotten sick in the 20 years we've been going to Mexico. You shouldn't worry about this, especially in P.V. I've been told while traveling to other countries, eat yogurt every day for a week or two before you leave and it can help with stomach problems.

I've found P.V. to be very safe. We've never had any problems there. You're in the marina area and it's very safe to walk around there with your children. It's safe in the downtown areas, Yelapa, Bucerias, ect. I'm sure there are unsafe places like any city everywhere, but I don't know where they are or have never come across them.

Please get out and see the sights and all the town has to offer. You are going to have a blast. It's a fantastic place for a family.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety and drinking water?

Safer than NYC, and I have also lived there, and PV is the safest place I've ever lived and I've been drink the water for many, many years. Never got sick from eating out here, which I can't say about NYC.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety and drinking water?

I always wonder if the people giving you these warnings have ever been in Mexico.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety and drinking water?

You will be fine, you already survived Y2K and a rapture.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety and drinking water?

I'm here, drinking water, eating and walking around by myself. No problems. Just take the normal precautions that you would at home.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety and drinking water?

Yes Puerto Vallarta is safe day and night for a family on vacation. As far as food and water just be sensible and smart. Bottled water is available everywhere if you want to be extra careful.

suze

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety and drinking water?

I'll second Suze's thoughts......bottled water is available on almost every corner, at your nearest OXXO store (the Mexican equivalent of a 7-eleven). You won't have any issues eating in the restaurants either. If you are adventurous enough to opt for a food cart, just be observant to see if they appear to relatively clean and if they observe good food preparation and storage habits.

Yes, PV is safe. Follow pvDeb's advice, and take the normal precautions that you would at home, and you shouldn't encounter any surprises.

!Se divirtieran!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety and drinking water?

Yes, Puerto Vallarta is safe. I walk around by myself, which I wouldn't do in some areas of California. Last August, I drove down with a girlfriend. We felt completely comfortable. I regularly take girl's trips to Vallarta and that doesn't worry my husband in the slightest.

The water in Puerto Vallarta is just fine. I drink the tap water, brush my teeth with it, and cook with it. It tastes a lot better than the water in San Diego, no offense to your beautiful city.

9. Re: Safety and drinking water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2011, 20:35
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety and drinking water?

Medio, After looking at your other TA posts you seem to enjoy stirring the pot on safety in Mexico posts with articles you find on the internet.

Just curious how many times have you have visited Puerto Vallarta, or anywhere in Mexico.