We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Neenah, WI
Level Contributor
320 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Very good prices with airfare for both. Any suggestions? Never been to puerta vallarta before, only Cancun and Riveria Maya. Had only staying in one AI and it was Secrets Maroma Beach. Thanks for your responses.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,512 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Just a heads-up .... neither of the resorts you've named are located 'in' Puerto Vallarta -- but to the north in Bucerias and Nuevo Vallarta.

You might wish to post on those Forums for more posting action.

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Very different resorts, we were at the RDC and loved it but it is a basic hotel with basic rooms, no frills at all! Service is good, its clean, and fun, there is an adult only pool and lots of grounds/pools/restaurants to keep you occupied, it is just out of Bucerias so a great long stroll down the beach to small town Mexico!

May have lots of Mexicans, which we love, but some people are put out by Mexicans in Mexico! Go figure LOL

The RIU is close to the same area and will be a bit more upscale with better room amenities.

I have pics of the RDC if you want them PM me!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

I don't know those resorts, but for a first trip I would recommend staying right IN puerto vallarta, instead of out at Bucerias or Nuevo. But depends what you personally are looking for, if it's just to stay at a nice resort and relax, they might work. If you want to be able to get out & about in PV every day, then they're too far away.

suze

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
627 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

The Royal Decameron was the 1st place my wife and I stayed close to PV. It was great for the money, not a good booze selection if you drink, especially compared to the Riu's and Secrets. The Decameron won't even come close to Secrets, it will be a big step down. Go with an open mind and you'll still enjoy it. We love Bucerias!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Many people love the Decameron and come back year after year. Look on the Bucerias forum for more information.

And many of them rarely go to Puerto Vallarta, they stick around Bucerias. Plenty to see and do in Bucerias, you won't get bored here.

Maybe you would want to go into Vallarta for a day or evening.

It all depends what you hope to do on your vacation.

I think the comments about the large number of Mexicans often involve the resorts offering a different menu because of large number of national tourists. And there are other factors whch don't indicate a lack of respect for Mexicans, but a difference in the way people tend to vacation.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Yes, the Mexicans always seem to be having more fun :) suze

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,512 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

"Many people love the Decameron and come back year after year. ........ And many of them rarely go to Puerto Vallarta, they stick around Bucerias. Plenty to see and do in Bucerias, you won't get bored here."

sioux4noff .. we couldn't agree more!! It was our second (Bay of Banderas) destination, and even though that two-week stay was a good while ago (spring '03), we have so many fond memories of the resort, and even more-especially the location, and Bucerias.

We sure enjoyed our beach and street walks to/from the resort, and all the sights & sounds we experienced in town.

A good many changes to the area since then, I suspect, but I'd bet the same good spirit still exists!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

If you are used to Secrets Maroma level of hotel, I would definitely say the RIU Vallarta then....the RDC is a far lesser hotel.

Mexico
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

Well I can certainly answer that one...........we usually stay either downtown or at the Riu..........one year stayed at the Decameron because family from Canada was there..................AWFUL! The food was terrible, the drinks were so watered down.....rooms were awful................

We actually checked out early and headed to the Villa Del Palmar.

10. Re: Royal Decameron or Riu Vallarta Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 05:19