We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molcajete

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Molcajete

I asked this question a few years ago but the restaurant scene can change quickly. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good molcajete? Had one at Margarita Grill a couple of years ago but I was looking for additional suggestions. Thanks!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molcajete

8 Tostadas in Nuevo Vallarta offered several meals for 2 and were delicious. A wonderful salsa was made at the table to accompany the meal. There is an 8 Tostadas in the Marina area, but we have not been to that one.

tripadvisor.com/…29552086

Edited: 01 December 2011, 01:07
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molcajete

My number one place for a good molcajete is El Barracuda. The other places that I have had very good ones at are, Fajita Republic, and Gilmar. Now look what you've done, I'm really hungry now.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molcajete

I highly recommend the molcajete at both El Barracuda and Fajita Republic.

Hope to hear about other good spots for it.

Edited: 01 December 2011, 16:17
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molcajete

We've enjoyed salsas and guacamoles prepared in molcajetes. Gilmar, Fajita Grill, and Margarita Grill come to mind. Of those, we thought Gilmar (where we have had such a few times) and Fajita Grill (once) did it best. The salsas and gucamoles prepared that way at the Margarita Grill (tried twice) were quite "uninspiring and lacking", both in their presentations and tastes (in our opinion, of course).

Have never had a meal served in a molcajete - but hear/read they are great for holding & serving other dishes because they stay hot for a long time.

Looking for a recommendation as well!!

West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molcajete

El Brujo has great molcajetes along with what is mentioned above. I haven't tried the mocajete at Bacalao but heard they were good (probably the same as Fajita Republic since they share the same kitchen).

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molcajete

Hmmm…now you have me questioning whether I had it at El Bacalao or FR.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molcajete

I had a delicious seafood molcajete at El Bacalao. I love El Barracuda, too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,040 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Molcajete

Fajita Republic has good ones. El Bacalao is somewhat of an offshoot child of El Barracuda, so if they're good at one chances are excellent they'd be good at the other.

I think I saw one on the menu at Las Adelitas but don't quote me...it's a big menu. If so, everything else I've had there has been really good, can't imagine they'd mess up a molcajete.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molcajete

Fajita republic. Molcajetes are great to have for keeping many food warm etc, can be put in oven etc...grind spices, lots of uses, only issue very heavy liek fro tourist to bring home...I have a few in my home...love them to use and decorate, one has a pig head...cute..

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molcajete

The only place we've had Molcajetes was at Fajita Republic and they were pretty good.I can't say great because we only had them once and never tried another place.

One poster suggested El Brujo. Never had them there but everything on their menu is so good I must try them.

Michael